Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2012 Venus transit ?

As soon as it rises, around 4am I believe. We just catch the last part of the transit. Check sunrise time where you are and find a good horizon looking east

Stu

You will need to find an observing site with a northeast horizon at sunrise

(about 4.45 am, BST from Kent) on Weds 6th June to catch the last part

of the transit, which will be over by 5.55 am.

Good luck ! Ed.

Check it for your location in Stellarium ,

Select Sun and punch in 6th june in date box and 04:30 then FFW.

Venus is top right of Sun and we only catch the last hour of transit.

Sun about 5 1/2 degrees above horizon at 3rd contact....ish

Believe that for London sunrise is 4:42. So if you are a bit more east then a few minutes earlier, later if West and also earlier if more north.

In effect be stood somewhere with a low horizon between 4:30 and 4:40.

You will need to find an observing site with a northeast horizon at sunrise.

Shouldn't that be South East horizon?

IF you/we miss the Transit I believe you/we can catch it on Horizon on BBC2 6th of June not sure on the time but i think its about 8pm or 9pm and i think it will be the full Monty from start to finish. Australia will see the full event so maybe Horizon will be filmed from there:icon_salut:

After all the stuff I bought for Solar Viewing, I won't be able to make the Transit (I've found all the sites I thought would give me good views North-East are blocked by buildings, and I'd have to travel to the coast to see it, and pay for a hotel which I just cannot afford), so thanks for the link :(. Still, I can enjoy Solar Viewing!

After all the stuff I bought for Solar Viewing, I won't be able to make the Transit (I've found all the sites I thought would give me good views North-East are blocked by buildings, and I'd have to travel to the coast to see it, and pay for a hotel which I just cannot afford), so thanks for the link :(. Still, I can enjoy Solar Viewing!

I would suggest the seafront between Keswick and Walcott would be ideal for you , I checked it out on a recce trip up the coast a couple of weeks ago and it's a great position to see transit from.

No parking restrictions , a nice wide pavement between road and low seawall and unrestricted view .

Only about 17 miles from Norwich so no need for hotel , just get yourself out of bed a bit earlier.

Are not going to get another chance for 105 years !! :(

If I'm mad enough to get out of bed at 2.30am (or not go to bed more likely) I may head for Sheerness or Hearne Bay. They look to have good views North East.

Any thoughts?

Stu

If I'm mad enough to get out of bed at 2.30am (or not go to bed more likely) I may head for Sheerness or Hearne Bay. They look to have good views North East. Any thoughts? Stu

Hi Stu, the grass cliffs above Kings Hall at Herne Bay would be a good spot. (I go to Kings Hall occasionally). I think it's called Beacon Hill, you can park on the road too.

The advantage of a sea horizon, plus a bit of height makes that a good spot.

I'm meeting with my club at 04.30 am (BST) on 6th June at a good location in Essex.

Fingers crossed for the weather..........

Regards, Ed.

Archived