Narrowband

Crescent Neb - Atik 460 EX

jcm

A beautiful gossamer effect on the shell. Just right.

I can see this chip becoming the weapon of choice for many if you keep producing images like this

Dave.

Hi Dave,

So far the camera has exceeded my expectations. :smiley:

The next task is to do some wide field stuff with the APO , but weather is against this at the moment.

John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave,

So far the camera has exceeded my expectations. :smiley:

The next task is to do some wide field stuff with the APO , but weather is against this at the moment.

John

Have you decided on a set point for the cooling ? I know a lot of people use -10 with the Sony chips but I don't know if that's because they've tested it or because everyone else seems to use it. I don't know of a test to find the best temperature on these chips ( The Kodak chips are set much lower ) But I'd be inclined to do some summer testing. Take a few 20 minute darks, in a dark place, at -5 / -10 / -15 etc and then have a good look at them to see what's going on.

I'm looking forward to your APO images. Then I'll have a deep long think.

Dave.

John, thank you for this thread.

Last week I took delivery of a 460EX after much consideration of QE Graphs & Sony's recent track record on dark noise control. BUT, I have not used the camera yet (Weather!), AND this will be my first tentative steps into dedicated astro CCD's - I've only been using an unmodded Canon 5d2 & recently a modded 40D, so I am on the bottom rung of a new learning curve. It is great to see someone getting cracking results with this cramera, I can't wait to try it myself, but suspect my initial attempts will be plagued by the usual 'gotchas' of new equipment & process learning - in the meant time, your images will give me hope!

John, thank you for this thread.

Last week I took delivery of a 460EX after much consideration of QE Graphs & Sony's recent track record on dark noise control. BUT, I have not used the camera yet (Weather!), AND this will be my first tentative steps into dedicated astro CCD's - I've only been using an unmodded Canon 5d2 & recently a modded 40D, so I am on the bottom rung of a new learning curve. It is great to see someone getting cracking results with this cramera, I can't wait to try it myself, but suspect my initial attempts will be plagued by the usual 'gotchas' of new equipment & process learning - in the meant time, your images will give me hope!

Hi ,

I think you will be happy with your choice. When a new camera comes out there is always the worry that the first buyers may have some teething problems.

Mine has worked without any problems.

John

That is great to hear & know John.

Your post is very encouraging.......just a pity the weather could not be as encouraging right now ;-)

if/when I get a half decent result, I'll post!

Archived