sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Assuming you had deep pockets....

Etoille

Nope. They cost almost as much as a TEC140, which is something I'd much rather have, as nice as these are. Also, since these were USN binos and therefore made with terrestrial viewing in mind, I'm not entirely sure how would their coatings compare to binos specifically made for astronomy - or in what condition would the coatings be. Years of service, salty air, crewmen who may not care that much about preserving the coatings when cleaning them, etc.. it adds up :(

If I were a collector with a ton of money, I'd grab them in a second. But for astronomy, there are far better instruments, especially in that price range.

Edited by newman

A little more down to earth there is another "big eye" on eBay. The format of the listing title suggests 'Big Eye' as a brand name and the scope, accessories and description match the Helios Quantum 6 on the FLO site. Can anyone suggest whether at £495 this is a genuine used sale or whether its a budget 'clone'?

Edited by Etoille

Nope. They cost almost as much as a TEC140, which is something I'd much rather have, as nice as these are. Also, since these were USN binos and therefore made with terrestrial viewing in mind, I'm not entirely sure how would their coatings compare to binos specifically made for astronomy - or in what condition would the coatings be. Years of service, salty air, crewmen who may not care that much about preserving the coatings when cleaning them, etc.. it adds up :(

If I were a collector with a ton of money, I'd grab them in a second. But for astronomy, there are far better instruments, especially in that price range.

Good point. I have a TEC140 and it won't be going up for sale...

Olly

A little more down to earth there is another "big eye" on eBay. The format of the listing title suggests 'Big Eye' as a brand name and the scope, accessories and description match the Helios Quantum 6 on the FLO site. Can anyone suggest whether at £495 this is a genuine used sale or whether its a budget 'clone'?
This is a branded Kunming Optical (aka United Optics) BA6. See: http://www.united-optics.com/Products/Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars/BA6_Series/BA6_Series.html about half way down the page.

This is the same binocular as the Helios Quantum 6, and was also branded and sold by various different distributors (Oberwerk, APM, Garrett, Apogee, Orion). They are f/6 binoculars, so are slightly "easier" on eyepieces. They retail normally for about £850 in the UK. What they are clones of is the Miyauchi Bj-100RBF, which retailed for a couple of grand or more.

This is a branded Kunming Optical (aka United Optics) BA6. See: http://www.united-optics.com/Products/Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars/BA6_Series/BA6_Series.html about half way down the page.

This is the same binocular as the Helios Quantum 6, and was also branded and sold by various different distributors (Oberwerk, APM, Garrett, Apogee, Orion). They are f/6 binoculars, so are slightly "easier" on eyepieces. They retail normally for about £850 in the UK. What they are clones of is the Miyauchi Bj-100RBF, which retailed for a couple of grand or more.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. The seller claims they don't know the brand and that they're from Germany. The price seems a little too good to be true and they are trying to solicit a sale off eBay (more here). We know the proverbial saying so I think I will steer clear.

Edited by Etoille

No obvious TS logo on this one. There are some high res pictures and the only details are what is shown on the picture of the base:

20x100BT

D=100mm

F=609mm

Eyepiece lens

22x

33x

40x

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=430357ℑ=575695093&images=575695039,575695073,575695093,575695166,575695124,575695151&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

One of the photos seems to show some nasty scratches or some kind of abberations on the top and side of the left hand tube:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=430357ℑ=575695166&images=575695039,575695073,575695093,575695166,575695124,575695151&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Couldn't see anything obvious on the eyepieces either.

Edited by Etoille