Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Wizard

Shibby

The Wizard (NGC 7380) is definitely one of my favourite nebulae. I love the way he appears to be conjuring up these young, hot, blue stars. Which is effectively what he is doing!

I had an attempt at it back in October, but understandably failed to attract any comments when posted, so now I've got an Ha filter I have added 4.6 hours of Ha data this weekend thanks to the fantastic weather (albeit very short nights!)

I think the Ha has improved things - the nebula is really quite faint and without the filter, LP wipes a lot of it out.

- 55x2min unguided for the colour (taken Oct)

- 28x10min Ha guided

- Canon 450D (modded)

- Skywatcher 150PDS

- Vixen GP

- Guiding: Orion mini finder scope + SPC900 (unmodded)

Thanks for looking!

picture.php?albumid=1315&pictureid=17622

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice shibby must admit I dont really see the 'wizard' in it but the Ha regions are magic...(apologies)!

Really though I love nebulae and this is good work, as always the artist is his own worst critic! You have done fantastic and I dont see much issue with resolution. Thanks for sharing

Thankyou guys :(

I was a little disappointed with the resolution to be honest - should I be expecting any better from a 150P with a DSLR do you think?

Here's a slightly closer crop: http://stargazerslounge.com/album.php?albumid=1315&pictureid=17623 (but not processed particularly well, this one, mostly star shapes)

Lewis,

I imaged this object last year with 110mm refractor. It is smaller but the contrast should be comparable with yours... Your image has much more detail because of the H-alpha I think... Definitely don't see reason to be disappointed!

Here is link to the image - http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Gallery/ISS_7380_9.jpg

The image details are in my gallery - http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Author.aspx?AName=Ivaylo%20Stoynov&AFile=ISS&Update=2012/03/20

Thank you for the comments. Yeah, it is a great nebula - I found it kinda spooky when I first saw a picture of it!

Very nice shibby must admit I dont really see the 'wizard' in it but the Ha regions are magic...(apologies)!

I think it's a bit more obvious in better images! The pointy bit at the top is his hat, just below that are his eye & nose. Then, you can see darker regions that look like his arms & hands stretched out to the right :(

I imaged this object last year with 110mm refractor. It is smaller but the contrast should be comparable with yours... Your image has much more detail because of the H-alpha I think... Definitely don't see reason to be disappointed!

Thanks Ivo, the Ha does give it a lift out of the haze but I'd say the detail level is comparable.

PS: I used APT of course :( Thank you for the great software!

Cracking image. Amazing colours, and i love the refraction spikes... I do miss imaging with my 200p, you get fantastic results with the SW newts.

So thats about 6.5hrs.... looks great

Thank you Gina and Kieran :(

Thanks Lewis! It will be great if you share some images in the APT's gallery :(

Sure, will do!

So thats about 6.5hrs.... looks great

Yeah, which is probably a record for me! Odd, given the short nights at the moment.

I thought I'd attach a 100% crop of the Ha data, reprocessed a bit, as I believe this shows the most detail - detail that I find quite difficult to maintain when combining with the colour. (When I say 100%, this is debayered with super pixel mode).

There was a lot of noise, which was a bit tricky to control - exif temperature was 18deg!

picture.php?albumid=1315&pictureid=17644

I've reprocessed the image a bit, I think it shows better detail (but let me know your opinion!) and also I noticed the reds were overblown so I've been a bit more careful this time.

So I thought I'd post a new version, hope you don't mind :hello2:

picture.php?albumid=1315&pictureid=17662

Very nice indeed Shibby! I didn't realise this had come back around again - It's yet another project I started last year and didn't get to finish... :hello2:

Thanks. The detail in yours is incredible Andy, I can't wait to see that finished!

I think it's a bit more obvious in better images! The pointy bit at the top is his hat, just below that are his eye & nose. Then, you can see darker regions that look like his arms & hands stretched out to the right

Ah yes now you point it out I can kinda see it especially a bit that looks like a hand :hello2: I love the Ha only pic too :)

Archived