Pronunciations Of Astronomy Terms

Wedge

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just don't say "nucular"

I'm surprised nobody jumped at this one. It really annoys me, especially as two major news channels in the UK (Beeb and SkY) seem to have adopted this pronunciation. Dumbing down??????

ITS NEW-KLEE-ARE!!!

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

just don't say "nuclear"

I'm surprised nobody jumped at this one. It really annoys me, especially as two major news channels in the UK (Beeb and SkY) seem to have adopted this pronunciation. Dumbing down??????

ITS NEW-KLEE-ARE!!!

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

Quite a few seem to say NEW-KILLER. I noticed it first in a chap from New Zealand's speech when they banned US ships with Nuclear weapons from their ports. Now it seems to have spread even onto the TV news in UK. I wonder if it is a deliberate ploy by some clever greenpeace people to spread a theology - or just a Freudian slip by those who have been brought up with a fear of things nuclear.

just don't say "nuclear"

ITS NEW-KLEE-ARE!!!

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

Quite a few seem to say NEW-KILLER. I noticed it first in a chap from New Zealand's speech when they banned US ships with Nuclear weapons from their ports. Now it seems to have spread even onto the TV news in UK. I wonder if it is a deliberate ploy by some clever greenpeace people to spread a theology - or just a Freudian slip by those who have been brought up with a fear of things nuclear.

Thats actually quite clever from a punning point of view. The one that irritates me though is the NEW-CUE-LUR made famous by Dubya.

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

just don't say "nucular"

ITS NEW-KLEE-ARE!!!

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

:notworthy: Amen to that! Many times, I've felt like sending a note to the White House asking someone to please teach the president to pronounce it properly. :D

just don't say "nucular"

ITS NEW-KLEE-ARE!!!

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

:notworthy: Amen to that! Many times, I've felt like sending a note to the White House asking someone to please teach the president to pronounce it properly. :D

Having worked at a nucular power staion for years it irks me somewhat as well.

Carol,I think the president needs to be taught a few other things as well. Not the sharpest president you've ever had,imho. :D

Former President Jimmie Carter worked on a nuclear submarine, and started his administration pronouncing it "no-kya-ler", but took the time to learn the proper pronunciation.

Shows you what an education can do. (or something)

I'd think we're pushing the political envelope here, though. Or are you guys deliberately winding me up?

just don't say "nucular"

ITS NEW-KLEE-ARE!!!

Peace and Clear Skies.

Becky.

Having worked at a nucular power staion for years it irks me somewhat as well.

Carol,I think the president needs to be taught a few other things as well. Not the sharpest president you've ever had,imho. :D

:lol: You got that right!! :laugh:

And now, we return you to your regularly scheduled program. :wink:

• 5 months later...

ha, I love things like this.....in my opinion the way ppl pronounce things often make them sound stupid (not saying that the pronouncing is wrong, just that they sound silly).

Take Betelgeuse, I pronounce it 'beetle-jews' whereas others say 'bet-el-jews' and others go for 'bet-el-juice'.

Take Sirius, I say 'Si-ree-us', whereas others say 'Sigh-ree-us'

And Rigel, I say 'Raye (thats 'aye' as in the Gerodie Wai-aye) -gel' others say 'Ree-gel'

There's my contribution...

ha, I love things like this.....in my opinion the way ppl pronounce things often make them sound stupid (not saying that the pronouncing is wrong, just that they sound silly).

Take Betelgeuse, I pronounce it 'beetle-jews' whereas others say 'bet-el-jews' and others go for 'bet-el-juice'.

And Rigel, I say 'Raye (thats 'aye' as in the Gerodie Wai-aye) -gel' others say 'Ree-gel'

BETtle-goose, SI-ree-us, and RYE-jell. But that's just me. You can get Rye jell shots at some of the bars.

BETtle-goose, SI-ree-us, and RYE-jell. But that's just me. You can get Rye jell shots at some of the bars.

Sorry about previous no message.

I was going to say I never realised you had to procounce star names with a Hollywood accent until Captain Kirk boldly went. Nor did I realise Vulcans spoke Engish with an even more pronounced accent or that the ice-cream of choice in space is 'Rocky Road'

Now I am clued up and have even tried Rocky Road - which is sold at Marks and Spencer. Didn't think much of it actually - maybe all the foreign food they get in space ruins the taste buds!

I would presume it to be SIZE-MAN-ECK (The 'Eck' being as in Flippin' 'Eck!!)

:D

I never knew how to pronounce Noctilucent as in Noctilucent Clouds until I saw S@N yesterday! I am not one of those people who can just read a word and realize how to pronounce it, although I guess if I take time in finding out I can. (Hence why I made this topic) :D

Archived