Aquila...... uh-KWEE-LEE-uh

And here's the worst one:

Canes Venatici somehow got an Itallian accent and became

CAY-nis VEN-ah-TEE-chee.

:D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a great link AM, and just about wraps it up for all of us.

As an aside to Wedge, there really is no need to get hung up on correct pronunciation of astronomical terms, as there are so many variations used by different people. And, as someone has already remarked, no one will deride anyone for allegedly misspronouncing a term.

I suppose if you are giving a lecture to a group, it would help if the speaker had their head around every difficult pronunciation.

I have been to a few by some very eminent people, and even they get caught out, but no one pooh poohed them.

Don't let it spoil your enjoyment.

Ron. :wink:

• 1 month later...

OK, I'll bring up the famous one's... no fighting please :smiley:

Betelgeuse - bee-tl-juice ? :evil:

Antares - Ant-airs or Ant-ar-ees ?

Vega - Vay-ga or Ve-ga ?

Uranus - Yer-un-us (Probably wrong but a useful one as this saves the class collapsing in hilarity when teaching children the planets!!)

Vega (vay-ga)

hi all,

I read a book that gave a glossary of the main constellations and how to pronounce them phonetically, it was called The Complete and Easy Guide to Stargazing, it was really helpful when trying to explain which is which and look like i knew what i was talking about! sorry it's such a late reply but i hope it helps all the same...

clear skies

fern

I would take issue with most of those pronunciations, having learned Latin in school.

Rather belated, but something about this post set off tingles at the back of my neck, and I wasn't sure why. Until now.

Most of the star names were not derived from Latin, but from Arabic. Constellations were named in English, according to pronunciations set forth by the International Astronomical Union in the 1930's. So, WH is probably correct, in that the pronunciations are NOT based on Latin, but English.

Whew. I feel better now. Maybe I can get some sleep. Oh wait, my turn at the Observatory. :smiley:

I would take issue with most of those pronunciations, having learned Latin in school.

Rather belated, but something about this post set off tingles at the back of my neck, and I wasn't sure why. Until now.

Most of the star names were not derived from Latin, but from Arabic. Constellations were named in English, according to pronunciations set forth by the International Astronomical Union in the 1930's. So, WH is probably correct, in that the pronunciations are NOT based on Latin, but English.

Whew. I feel better now. Maybe I can get some sleep. Oh wait, my turn at the Observatory. :smiley:

Yes, but that web page I was commenting on was about the names of the constellations, which are mostly Greek, Latinized Greek, or Latin.

The star names are, indeed, mostly anglicized Arabic, and the pronunciation of these is pretty optional. However, 'i' is pronounced as a clipped 'ee', and 'a' as 'ah' for the most part, and 'e' is a short e. "Castor" and "Pollux" are Greek, and "Regulus" and "Cor Caroli" are Latin, the latter named by Brahe, I believe. Nevertheless, I pronounce "Rigel", "Rye-jell." Jello shots, anyone? :drunken:

• 2 months later...

Heheh. Always knew that grade 5 Latin "O-Level" would come in handy. (For exams, I just used to rote-learn the English translation!). Funny how things change, from schooldays tho'. All the things I thought(!) I disliked... languages, history etc. are my main (albeit amateur) interests, now. Astronomy is the only "science" I find vaguely tolerable, these days... :D

Archived