Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skippys build

skippyinspace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been away so thought I would post an update.

Currently still trying to get unit water tight, but mainlyt becouse I havent sealed the frame to the concreate base.

My builder fitted the door while I was away, Came back to find it was swollen shut, taking a good kick to get it opened.

Sparky finished fitting the electrics (6 sockets) and 2 white and 2 red lights but supplied the wrong bulbs and I thought I was getting dainty led's but have ended up with ones the size of brake lights!

But yesterday I ordered a home heating oil top up, my wife found the tanker driver looking at the observatory with filling hose in hand to ask her where does he attatch the nozzle.

As for the location it does have quite dark skies just the occasional passing car head lights, but until the door is fixed I'm not putting any equipment it. So I'm just waiting to see if I've got the pier height right and everything else.

• 4 months later...

Finally got out into the obs last week with a member from the local club as I was having some alignment issues, Worked out the dovetail mount was on the wrong side. We had a 7 hour session though a lot of it was trying to iron out some problems with the scope. But in that time we moved the dome with 1 finger in all directions and was nicely protected from the wind. Saw the GRS on Jupiter and 4 or 5 M objects.

Considering this obs is on a 8x8ft base we never got in each others way and I actually believe we could have got another person in comfortably.

When all the lights are out its easy to get disorienated not being able to find the door or the light switch which is above the door!

Jobs to do sort the last leak which is above the door

Ensure the wifi reaches the Obs

arrange a fold down table to put the netbook on.

Place some sort of shade over the red lights as at time they are just in the eyeline

Start the landscaping around the dome

Which brings me to my question, What else would make my viewing more pleasurable, eg an eypiece shelf or should I just leave them in a case, Warm room is out of the question.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Update a year or so down the line,.

Couple of minor issues that have crept up

1) the rear facing wooden wall swelled and buckled during the summer, So may require a rebuild next year

2) Still getting some water ingress from where the water is pooling on the flat section but still think its nothing that cant be fixed with out some sealant

3) had a m8 lock nut on the shutter  fail in high wind which resulted in the shutter being removed (Before it blew away) for a couple of days while the wind dropped so that the repair could be carried out

4) Daughter born so have been banished from going to the dome on a night.

Jobs still to do

1) Improve landscaping around the dome

2) Just use the dome more

• 9 years later...
On 17/12/2013 at 13:23, skippyinspace said:

Update a year or so down the line,.

Couple of minor issues that have crept up

1) the rear facing wooden wall swelled and buckled during the summer, So may require a rebuild next year

2) Still getting some water ingress from where the water is pooling on the flat section but still think its nothing that cant be fixed with out some sealant

3) had a m8 lock nut on the shutter  fail in high wind which resulted in the shutter being removed (Before it blew away) for a couple of days while the wind dropped so that the repair could be carried out

Jobs still to do

1) Improve landscaping around the dome

2) Just use the dome more

10 years down the line update

Issues

Point 1, Will be done in the next month

Point 2 Sealant worked but water pools on the flat surface as the roof surface slopes inwards 

Jobs still to do.

As per the above list!

Make some sort of Pi Cabinet for Allsky Camera, GMS Meteor Camera and soon to arrive Allsky Seven Camera

Improve Wi.

Jobs in progress

1) Repaint walls

2) New mount purchased and to be installed after rear walls retrofitted

Dome its self has fadded to matt but wont be repainted

On 17/12/2013 at 13:23, skippyinspace said:

Daughters ..... say no more 🤣