Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51, over 5 hrs worth of data. Anyone wants to have a go?

pixueto

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would still use the LP filter though.

Not sure about that for a 80'' sub QM. You would be surprised how much light that filter can block- it might be the equivalente of a 30'' shot without filter.

I see well try it with out the light filter in that case. I don't know how bad your light pollution is but where I am once the street lights go out I can see the milky way fairly well so that might give you an idea of how my sky is in Suffolk. In London its going to be pretty impossible to see it I should imagine. This is why I can get away with short subs due to the darkness of the suffolk skys I guess.

I see well try it with out the light filter in that case. I don't know how bad your light pollution is but where I am once the street lights go out I can see the milky way fairly well so that might give you an idea of how my sky is in Suffolk. In London its going to be pretty impossible to see it I should imagine. This is why I can get away with short subs due to the darkness of the suffolk skys I guess.

Here, even though I'm in the suburbs, I cannot see any stars inside Pegasus square (one night I actually managed to see one) so you get an idea:icon_confused:. My main problen is the west (City) and south (high street) but if the target is in the north or east it isn't actually that bad.

Yes, what with cloud and moon plus short astronomical darkness I've resigned myself to working on my equipment and forgetting (well not quite) imaging for the next several days or more. Currently building my DSLR cooling control circuit. Have other stuff on order such as a plastic box to keep moisture out and some components.

Pix could do with this amazing cooling system of yours Gina so could I to be honest. Well, I am going to wait for a clear night then back out to the Trifid and the Lagoon Nebula mid June July is the perfect time for the Trifid regarding its place in the sky just need a good clear night now.

well I had to have a crack at this in IRIS.. my favored packsge.

Much effort on noise reduction, background levelling then curves and levels and a spot of deconvolution

I had the same problem with really odd red channel noise on my DSLR.. is the red channel badly formed on these cameras?

Derek

post-21647-133877783442_thumb.jpg

well I had to have a crack at this in IRIS.. my favored packsge.

Much effort on noise reduction, background levelling then curves and levels and a spot of deconvolution

I had the same problem with really odd red channel noise on my DSLR.. is the red channel badly formed on these cameras?

Derek

Thanks Derek, I used a astronomik LP clip filter. I understand that affects the red channel.

Here's my effort........sharpened up a bit and cropped to centre the galaxy.......hope that's all right with you.

Thanks cloudwatcher. Funnily enough, your rework on my jpeg made of a total of 20 min a few months ago seems to have come up better than this one on a tiff with a total exposure of 5 hours. You can compare here:

post-30999-133877783453_thumb.jpg

Thanks Derek, I used a astronomik LP clip filter. I understand that affects the red channel.

I'm not convinced its the filter. I used a lumicon deep sky with my 30D and it reduced the red glow, but I still got the awful diagonal streakiy look to it.

I can only think it's a manufacturing artifact and not noticable in normal terrestial images.

Derek

Archived