Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron cg5 go to

I agree with Tony - the CG5 goto is a great mount with the sole exception of the noise. Astrophotographers may mention the lack of Periodic Error Correction but I'm still a visual guy...

I've recently bought an EQ6 in part because I felt my 10" Newt was at the edge of what the mount was capable of and am intending to sell my CG5 but I can't quite bring myself to do so... :?

James

I agree with Tony - the CG5 goto is a great mount with the sole exception of the noise. Astrophotographers may mention the lack of Periodic Error Correction but I'm still a visual guy...

I've recently bought an EQ6 in part because I felt my 10" Newt was at the edge of what the mount was capable of and am intending to sell my CG5 but I can't quite bring myself to do so... :?

James

Sorry to jack the thread slightly...

James, i recently got a home made 8" Newtonian that i mounted on my cg-5 gt.Weighs about 10kg.

How much counter-weight do you reckon i need, and, i noticed that when slewing to various objects the motor starts whining and then gradually comes to a halt even tho it keeps on trying to turn :D

Is this a limitation of the motor or incorrrect counter-weights?? :)

Is the scope balanced with the weights you have, i.e. the OTA doesn't slide/move when you release the clutch knobs? If you're scope is balanced with the weights you have then it sounds like there's an issue with the motors.

Sorry if this is obvious but have you tightened the clutch knobs/lock levers sufficiently? If they're not tightened enough then the motors will be unable to move the OTA much if at all.

My 10" OTA (standard 10" mass produced scope size and weight) needs 3 counterweights all pretty much at the extreme end of the counterweight shaft. I'm not sure what my OTA weighs but its more than 10kg!

HTH whilst the experts get their answers ready!

James

You would have thought they might have sorted it out in a firmware upgrade but I s'pose it's an issue that Celestron doesn't deem a priority. I wouldn't imagine it would affect sales one bit because if you can find any competition for a CG5GT, I'd love to see it.

Tony..

You would have thought they might have sorted it out in a firmware upgrade but I s'pose it's an issue that Celestron doesn't deem a priority. I wouldn't imagine it would affect sales one bit because if you can find any competition for a CG5GT, I'd love to see it.

Tony..

http://www.firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=proheq5

Yeah sure, it's double the price, but I don't think it matters that much. I've read a lot of posts on here and elsewhere, with people saying they chose the HEQ5 Pro over the CG5-GT and a lot of it comes down to this noise issue.

I believe Celestron DOES think it's an issue, but have trouble in sorting out the software. Seems blumming stupid to me. The GoTo slew speed is the ONE major issue that puts everyone off this mount, sort it out! :D

Tony..

Yeah sure, it's double the price, but I don't think it matters that much. I've read a lot of posts on here and elsewhere, with people saying they chose the HEQ5 Pro over the CG5-GT and a lot of it comes down to this noise issue.

I believe Celestron DOES think it's an issue, but have trouble in sorting out the software. Seems blumming stupid to me. The GoTo slew speed is the ONE major issue that puts everyone off this mount, sort it out! :D

There is a Skywatcher alternative on its way that (I am told) has quieter stepper motors. Personally, I think I'd favour the Celestron CG-5 for its heavier duty tripod and roller bearings on both axis (the EQ5 has them on the RA axis only). I have heard the CG-5's coffee grinders motors and they aren't too bad, unless you have someone's bedroom window overlooking your garden. That said, the HEQ5 is worth the extra...

Tony..

I believe Celestron DOES think it's an issue, but have trouble in sorting out the software. Seems blumming stupid to me. The GoTo slew speed is the ONE major issue that puts everyone off this mount, sort it out! :(

An HEQ5 tracks better too, with less PE so it'd be the choice of the imager. If people are willing to spend an extra £400 on a mount just because it's quieter then more power to them, they've clearly got money to burn. Having had both mounts, I'd say the HEQ5 is a 'polished' version of the CG/EQ5, payload wise, there isn't a whole lot in it (perhaps the HEQ5 would take a couple of Kg more) but in terms of engineering, it's loads better which is reflected in the price. So I'll stick with what I said about the CG5 having no competition as it's the only mount that has GOTO which can take a good size scope for less than £500.

Whats this slew speed problem thing :D I am still swithering about one of these things!

Unlike the noisy Meade mounts, it doesn't have an option in the software to slow down the slew rate when it's slewing to an object. It only runs at full speed, which is noisy. When you're manually moving the mount using the handset, you can adjust the speed. At any other speed apart from maximum, it's no noisier than any mount I've heard. Sure it's an issue, but as Celestron haven't updated the firmware for over a year and it hasn't been sorted in previous updates so I think it's one of those things that you can either live with or you can't because it doesn't look like it will ever get sorted.

There is a Skywatcher alternative on its way that (I am told) has quieter stepper motors. Personally, I think I'd favour the Celestron CG-5 for its heavier duty tripod and roller bearings on both axis (the EQ5 has them on the RA axis only). I have heard the CG-5's coffee grinders motors and they aren't too bad, unless you have someone's bedroom window overlooking your garden. That said, the HEQ5 is worth the extra...

Interesting one there Steve, from that pic they're using at least one wire for the DEC motor like the CG5, but what's the other one? (RA drive?) and the box that isn't the handset? (battery box?) Hm... It'd be nice to see one working 'in the flesh' and weigh up the pros and cons of each contender so to speak... But as you say, the HEQ5 is better than both :).

Tony..

so i bought one of these mounts yestarday and boy is it noisy.hope it dosant Wake the neighbours.

apart from that the equatorial head feels more substantial than my eq5 with the extra bearings and the tripod is surprisingly more stable.

used it for 20Min's and was impressed.

the only thing i find strange is after you set it to home position theres no shutdown menu you just switch the thing off or if there is a procedure i cant find it.

so i bought one of these mounts yestarday and boy is it noisy.hope it dosant Wake the neighbours.

apart from that the equatorial head feels more substantial than my eq5 with the extra bearings and the tripod is surprisingly more stable.

used it for 20Min's and was impressed.

the only thing i find strange is after you set it to home position theres no shutdown menu you just switch the thing off or if there is a procedure i cant find it.

I believe theres a Hibernate option. Look in the manual.

Archived