SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

jpeg to bmp conversion software?

David JM

Can anyone recommend something to convert jpegs to bitmaps, preferably free and automatic.

Just wondering why you want to do this? Is there a program you have that will only view or open bmp files?

Can anyone recommend something to convert jpegs to bitmaps, preferably free and automatic.

Irfanview. Or else the good old MS Paint will do that for you. Internet Explorer used to be able to convert images to BMP through the save button.

Not sure about automatic ones, I remember I added a right click menu that would convert several formats.

Take a look at this page:

http://superuser.com/questions/250395/convert-bmp-to-png-on-right-click-in-windows-7

Hope this helps.

Just wondering why you want to do this? Is there a program you have that will only view or open bmp files?

JPEG is a compressed format so every time you save a JPEG you will lose information. If you open the JPEG ten times then it will be compressed 10 time with resulting loss of information.

BMP is not a compressed format and will not loose information when saved.

There are other possible reasons but this is the most likely.

JPEG is a compressed format so every time you save a JPEG you will lose information. If you open the JPEG ten times then it will be compressed 10 time with resulting loss of information.

BMP is not a compressed format and will not loose information when saved.

There are other possible reasons but this is the most likely.

Just opening a jpeg and closing it (10 times) does not change it at all, no information will be lost. It's only upon saving that it gets compressed, and even then you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference after even 5 or 10 saves, as long as you use the highest quality setting.

In which case I'd be shooting raw and either using 'non-destructive' editing (Lightroom or Capture One for instance) and if I still need a 'perfect' file I'd be saving as a TIF file personally (the ability to use diting layers), but a BMP would be as good (quality wise).

Archived