Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

neptune with binoculars?

skysplitter

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is asking a lot, but I suppose it is possible, as long as you are able to positively identify it when you do see it.

It will just look like a star especially in the binoculars you propose to use. I think your task is a big ask.

Neptunes magnitude at opposition, the point in it's orbit when it is nearest the earth, is +7.8.

The planets mean sidereal motion is only about 2 degrees a year. Pretty slow. You would have an easier task if you had a small telescope, something about a 4 inch would show it as a tiny blue disc. A pretty disappointing sight, but at least you could always say you've seen it. Not many can. I haven't. But then I have never looked. :(

Ron. :)

i've seen it in a very clear moonless sky with old 9X60 binoculars, but it looks just like another faint star. I only know I'd picked it up because I checked the field afterwards with a telescope, and there was the little blue disc. You might see it in the right 8X30s, depending on the make - Hugh.

I've spotted Neptune and Uranus with 7x35's. :D

Neptune's magnitude is approximately 8, and you shouldn't have a problem spotting it with the help of some charts and a bit of patience. Right now, the planet's in CAP near some good pointer stars and the surrounding field doesn't have too many similar-mag points of light that might confuse you.

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What happened? Did you see it? Has anybody managed to observe Neptune in the last couple of weeks? I have tried two nights now and I am not sure I've seen it.

I found this finder chart but perhaps someone has a better one

Neptune07_findr.jpg

(added)

and another one neptune2007.jpg

I tried Saturday night but failed. But that horizon is not good for me, right into LP hell (literally...the sky is so red it could be hell)!

Will need some serious mags though. Mars is tiny at only 8" in size but Neptune is a fraction of that :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Russ

Yes, Uranus was much easier.

But, REJOICE :sunny:

I have found Neptune! AND in the Bressers too! I studied Cartes du Ciel and it was showing Neptune near this star:

TYC6360-00281-1

Visual Magnitude: 7.99

Color Index: 1.15

J2000 RA: 21h26m27.03s DE:-15°14'42.7"

Date RA: 21h26m52.68s DE:-15°12'40.5"

Google was showing the same scene. I star hopped (with the Bressers) all the way from Delphinus -> Equuleus -> Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii) -> Deneb Algedi (Delta Carpicorni) -> Gamma Capricorni -> TYC6361-00384-1 (mag 7.29)

The last two are pointing the way to Neptune and "00281". I put the bins on a tripod and looked and looked. I found 00384 and followed the "pointer". I could make out one spot of light where there should be two. I tried averted vision and suddenly they were there! I was able to do this three times in total in the space of ten minutes. I think that should be sufficient to be classed as a proper observation.

I then pointed the Dobsonian to the same spot. Luckily, the finder is as good as the Bressers and showed a speck of light where the star-and-planet are. Sure enough, they were right there in the 32mm Plossl at 47x. They are supposed to be about 11 arcminutes apart. No discernible disk at that magnification and I never did put a higher power eyepiece in because supper was getting ready. But both my 11 year old daughter and 9 year old son heard the shouts of delight and came out to see what the fuss was. They both had a look through the Dob and George anounced that one of them was blue and the other beige. So now we know which was which, and ,luckily, it tallied with the chart which showed Neptune closer to the "pointer". That was 20:45 and clouds were rolling in from the north so we called it a night.

Next time, the DISK! Oh and a look with the 8x32s.

For those who don't have access to detailed charts, here are some screen shots from my Sky Tools program. They were generated for my location at 45°N//89°W, though... I hope there's not too much of a difference for other locations.

There are three charts of Neptune, and three charts of Uranus:

A 10° 'finder' chart

A 1° chart for 00 UT on October 10

A 1° chart for 00 UT on October 15

Thanks! I got the gear out tonight since it looked clear but it was a lot hazier. I couldn't see the pointer in the binos or the finder. Right now, Neptune is not going anywhere (I mean that, it's about to finish its retrograde motion and head back east) so I'll get to it on a better night.

Archived