Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

RAC

M20 Trifid Nebula 4 hours 1000d

24x10min subs + darks @ ISO1600,

Modded 1000D @ -8degC

skywatcher 8in f5 reflector.

Celestron CGE mount.

Baader MPCC.

CLS-CCD LP clip in filter.

Stacked in DSS and processed in PixIsight.

7266257702_00d665e4dc_b.jpg

M20 Trifid Nebula by meg rac, on Flickr

Time it take me to go up & down the page the two images look the same.

I just have to save them so I can put them side by side.I see it number one is a lot more blue. So yes number 2 image do look better.

Les

Edited by Starlight 1

The detail in the trifid in the second process is definitely better, especially the dark structures, but I actually prefer the colour balance of the first version. The contrast of the blue to red is stunning :(

Wow! An image I could only dream of... The second process is dramatic without being blown.

Very very good!

I too like the blue and the colour balance of one and the gentler stretch of two. In any event you have a great result on what must be the most pouting, seductive and voluptuous nebula in the sky! This is the Marylin Monroe of nebulae...

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

magnifificent :(

say something in details about PS -photoshop trickos you used(although you have 4 hours exposure)

Very nice. With a DSLR as well! :(

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk, so please excuse the speeling and granma! :)

For me that has to be the best m20 i have seen taken with a DSLR. the colours are excellent, alot of time and effort has gone into it, but was well worth, it well done.

Paul

The second one has a gentler brightness curve on the red - the first looks a little flattened. Not that the first isn't excellent, it is. I think they both have their good points. Maybe it might be possible to pick the best points out of both by judicious use of curves.

the most pouting, seductive and voluptuous nebula in the sky! This is the Marylin Monroe of nebulae...

Olly

I could not agree more Olly :(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

The second one has a gentler brightness curve on the red - the first looks a little flattened. Not that the first isn't excellent, it is. I think they both have their good points. Maybe it might be possible to pick the best points out of both by judicious use of curves.

Excellent point, Gina, and a thing to watch when processing this object.

Olly

magnifificent :(

say something in details about PS -photoshop trickos you used(although you have 4 hours exposure)

All the processing apart from the stacking was done with PixInsight.

Excellent point, Gina, and a thing to watch when processing this object.

Olly

Yes the first one looks to have some clipped red in a few places. That was my main reason for redoing it.

Made a the blue side more blue, hope its not to blue?

7281341380_96d211e6d0_b.jpg

M20 Trifid Nebula by meg rac, on Flickr

Thanks guys. I was pleased to pick up some other small bits of nebulosity like whats in the lower right of the image. I think i might use 10min subs more often.

What im not happy with is the stars at the top right, there is a flare pointing out to the top right corner on every star. This is from the camera sensor not being perfectly flat to the image plane. It comes from having a rubbish focuser, one part of the sky will be good and another will be like this and its very hard to tune out as its not easy to pick up in short testing subs.

Edited by Keiran

Wow, I second the comment about this being the best DSLR Trifid I've seen!

You know it's a corker of an image when you're picking faults I can barely even see...

Excellent capture for a dslr, with very little noise. I like the "red/pink" in version 1. Version 2 is a bit dull in terms of the colour (still a great image though). I reckon your could stretch some of the blue nebulosity (depending on the noise). My 5min subs @ ISO800 capture quite a bit more of the reflection nebula but I need to get more data to reduce the noise as I only have just over 2hrs of data collected.

It is a great image isn't it? Did you take this from a dark site, RAC? 10 minute subs at 1600 ISO is pretty good .... I'm lucky to get 5 minutes at 800 ISO from here! :(

It is a great image isn't it? Did you take this from a dark site, RAC? 10 minute subs at 1600 ISO is pretty good .... I'm lucky to get 5 minutes at 800 ISO from here! :(

Its darkish. I can't do any longer than 5min in my sky without a lp filter. I could go longer than 10min with one but only just. I live in town but my suburb is away from the main city by about 5km away with water in between.

I have no problem seeing the MW.