Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I should have done this years ago....(get a dob!)

Having spent the last two weeks slowly getting used to gap in the garage where the Celestron CPC925 used to be parked, now replaced with a 10" skywatcher dob, I must say -WOW- what an incredible instrument for the money. No question for me, it is superior for contrast, detail, cooling time and certainly ease of set up.

This evening's targets were some choice favorites: M57, M13 and Saturn. The views were absolutely incredible with M57 very contrasty, M13 almost 3D and Saturn displaying the cassini division right the way around. I could clearly see surface shading (well, gas shading I suppose to be more exact). Magnification was stable until about 270x. Views were also very sharp indeed after using a laser collimator.

If anyone is going through a similar dilemma about getting a dob I can certainly highly recommend this route. Setting up takes a matter of minutes, not tens of minutes and once thermal equilibrium is reached on the mirror the views are glorious.

Another happy customer!

Hope others have been having similar successes with this wonderful stargazing weather.

Best regards,

Rob

You've just saved me a lot of typing.

I've just jumped from an HEQ5 mounted 200p to a Flextube 300p and if we ignore the tracking issues (do Synta know what a torque setting is?) you have just described exactly the experience I've just got in from with Saturn and M13.

Atmospheric banding, the Cassini division and even the subtle shading differences throughout the rings left me stunned. M13 used to look like it had the potential to be interesting, but the three dimensional glitter ball I saw tonight was a different class. All of this was in far worse seeing than I'd have bothered with previously. What's it going to be like somewhere properly dark, stable and cold? :(

Russell

Sent from my iPad

:( Welcome to Dobsville Rob.:)

There are a few of us that didn't discover the joy of Dobs until pretty late in our observing hobby.

Im pretty new to them myself. Only had them about four years.

The first time I used one it was like a revelation. I couldn't believe the simplicity and ease of use as opposed to my old driven EQ.

IMO the best way to upgrade any newt is stick it on a Dob mount.

I've also never owned a dob until I saw a local ad for a 12" Lightbridge for sale. The $400 I offered for the dob was one of the best astro deals I've made. The views are simply fantastic. I've made a few minor mods to the scope and also added degree circles on the baseboard as well. Works great!

George

I am going to make one :(

But guys its all matter of opinion. Ask folks with refractors and they will wax-lyrical about their gear as well.

I had some nice views of Saturn and M13 last night through my CP1100 last night too :)

I do miss my CPC925, but interestingly not for the views, but more the engineering. I still remember the sigh of relief I exhaled after touching the eyepiece, while looking through the first time. Absolutely nothing moved. It was completely rock solid - unlike my previous Nexstar 6SE. In fact, I all too regularly would rest my weight against one of the tripod legs to create a more stable platform when observing at less comfortable angles. Again, the scope was rock solid with no impact on the view presented in the eyepiece.

The goto that typically accompanies SCTs is also a fantastic addition, although this is, perhaps, more of a 'must have' for photographers and a bonus for visual folk. Myself, I am strictly a visual observer - I have always been concerned about the amount of gear that might suddenly appear in a shopping basket if tried it out! :( My wife shares this concern...

All this said, the convenience of the dob has been wonderful this week. With such terrific weather it's the dob I set up first, before the refractor which is also extremely quick to have up and running. My pack of Bobs Knobs arrived yesterday and went straight into position. I entirely agree with previous posts that this is a 'must upgrade'. The focuser will need to be the next to go as I am not using the grub screws to secure the eyepieces. It's a shame they don't include a compression ring on the stock focuser.

My only very very minor grumble so far has been about the smoothness of the movement. I have tried polishing the top of the rocker, but it still suffers from a little bit of stickiness when small adjustments are required. After reading numerous postings about the Ebony Star upgrade, could anyone suggest a suitable alternative that is still in production?

With good weather scheduled to continue for the weekend I imagine there will be a fair few scopes parked on patios, driveways, gardens and in fields for the next two days...

Best regards,

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fom me ,I have a 12" SW dob owned it now or four years it was my first scope ,and would never part with it ,I also have a 9.25 also a great scope and a tripplle apo ,but the dob goes out every time why the image stuff des its thing

pat

Archived