Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Bizibilder

How hot is your shed?

:( I'll try to keep myself under control...

Back to the topic at hand, when I get my obsy constructed I shall make a point of taking these temperature readings. Especially if I put some kind of insulation layer inside the metal walls.

Can anyone suggest a temperature logger which can take readings over the course of (several) days? That would be great for the sort of hard data we are after.

Lascar do a range of usb stick loggers i use teperature/hummidity/dewpoint one in the obs the range ibcludes ones with built in displays or cheaper obes witout...

You configure the logging parameters and review data on a pc ..

Rapidonline sell them in the uk...

Peter...

Today 11.30 BST Dead calm. 22° outside 28°C in the Obsy.

Can anyone suggest a temperature logger which can take readings over the course of (several) days? That would be great for the sort of hard data we are after.
If you're into DIY you can make your own with a "1-wire" network, digital temperature sensors and computer. There is ready made software that will do exactly this. The sensors use just 2 connections (data and ground) and are just wired in parallel - just run 2 wires from adapter on computer to each device in turn in a string. "It's not rocket science." :( More info in the DIY - Astronomer forum.

20.5C outside and 27.8C in obsy. Light breeze.

If you're into DIY you can make your own with a "1-wire" network, digital temperature sensors and computer. There is ready made software that will do exactly this. The sensors use just 2 connections (data and ground) and are just wired in parallel - just run 2 wires from adapter on computer to each device in turn in a string. "It's not rocket science." :) More info in the DIY - Astronomer forum.

I hate that name "1 wire" its got a ground as well.

reminds me of all the different industrial instrumentation networks i use but a bit simpler.

I keep meaning to get a reading from inside my shed but i know i wont like it. 32 deg outside and the shed has a south facing black roof...its like an oven sometimes so i open the roof a bit on really hot days :(

Edited by Bizibilder

Took some flats this afternoon and the EXIF T was all of 35C! And that was with the roof open.

I don't like the name "1-wire" either! As you say it's 2 wires. Don't think it would be very reliable with earth rods and a single wire :(

1pm - 34c warm room - 39c scope room !!!! - to hot for me to sit in there and do some solar work... next project, air con for the warm room :):(

Here is a temperature comparison of outside to warm room from 11.00 am yesterday to 10.30 am today.....:(

Wayne

post-18037-133877780669_thumb.jpg

Notice some of my "cladding timbers" warping in the heat.

Really thinking now of a Trellis, plants to absorb heat etc. :(

Last year all my double sided tape packed up sticking in the shed.I'm hesitant to open the door.The year before we had a huge bumble bee nest in the shed,it was a game getting in and out!

Nick.

I fitted a small solar powered extractor fan in the roof of the shed (near the apex). This certainly helps keep the temperature down a bit.

Edited by michaelmorris

Mine today (13.00BST) 25°C outside and 32°C in the obsy. Keep these results coming in folks even when it cools down a bit and I will try and make some sense of them :(.

I'm a bit dissapointed :hello2: thought it was going to be a thread filled with pictures of sexy sheds :)

Edited by SlipperySquid

Are there any long term ill effects from storing a scope in such high temps? Will it effect coatings etc?

I keep my scope in my car at the moment (moving into a roomier place soon), and feeling how hot it got today got me a tad worried. I can deal with long cooling times etc, so long as i'm not actually damaging the scope. It gets pretty darn hot in a locked car on days like these...

Hi, I'm also interested if the heat can damage telescope?

Excesive heat can damage circuit boards/electrical items. I know this for a fact as I have a upvc shed with polycarbonate roof that I use for music recording.The heat generated killed one synth and caused two alarms to fail. Now I have the inside of the roof covered with this stuff http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/roof_insulation/Thermawrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554 temps dropped dramatically, if only I'd done this before :hello2:

Oooh now that is interesting. That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of lining the inside of my (soon to be built, hopefully) metal obsy with. Good to hear that it does have a good cooling effect :hello2:

FYI: You can get the same thing for £10.99 at Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/thermawrap-loft-insulation-400mm-x-5m/76477 They also do a larger sized roll too.

Edited by samtheeagle

Excesive heat can damage circuit boards/electrical items. I know this for a fact as I have a upvc shed with polycarbonate roof that I use for music recording.The heat generated killed one synth and caused two alarms to fail. Now I have the inside of the roof covered with this stuff http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/roof_insulation/Thermawrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554 temps dropped dramatically, if only I'd done this before :hello2:

Thank you very much. In this case, I'm going to by this stuff:)

Dont know how it will affect temps in other sheds, the roof was opaque so the sunlight was coming right in like a greenhouse, though for the price of a roll of that stuff it's worth a punt. You can also buy reflective roof paint though it isn't cheap!

Matt.