Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How hot is your shed?

Bizibilder

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lascar do a range of usb stick loggers i use teperature/hummidity/dewpoint one in the obs the range ibcludes ones with built in displays or cheaper obes witout...

You configure the logging parameters and review data on a pc ..

Rapidonline sell them in the uk...

Peter...

Can anyone suggest a temperature logger which can take readings over the course of (several) days? That would be great for the sort of hard data we are after.
If you're into DIY you can make your own with a "1-wire" network, digital temperature sensors and computer. There is ready made software that will do exactly this. The sensors use just 2 connections (data and ground) and are just wired in parallel - just run 2 wires from adapter on computer to each device in turn in a string. "It's not rocket science." :( More info in the DIY - Astronomer forum.

If you're into DIY you can make your own with a "1-wire" network, digital temperature sensors and computer. There is ready made software that will do exactly this. The sensors use just 2 connections (data and ground) and are just wired in parallel - just run 2 wires from adapter on computer to each device in turn in a string. "It's not rocket science." :) More info in the DIY - Astronomer forum.

I hate that name "1 wire" its got a ground as well.

reminds me of all the different industrial instrumentation networks i use but a bit simpler.

I keep meaning to get a reading from inside my shed but i know i wont like it. 32 deg outside and the shed has a south facing black roof...its like an oven sometimes so i open the roof a bit on really hot days :(

I don't like the name "1-wire" either! As you say it's 2 wires. Don't think it would be very reliable with earth rods and a single wire :(

Are there any long term ill effects from storing a scope in such high temps? Will it effect coatings etc?

I keep my scope in my car at the moment (moving into a roomier place soon), and feeling how hot it got today got me a tad worried. I can deal with long cooling times etc, so long as i'm not actually damaging the scope. It gets pretty darn hot in a locked car on days like these...

Hi, I'm also interested if the heat can damage telescope?

Excesive heat can damage circuit boards/electrical items. I know this for a fact as I have a upvc shed with polycarbonate roof that I use for music recording.The heat generated killed one synth and caused two alarms to fail. Now I have the inside of the roof covered with this stuff http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/roof_insulation/Thermawrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554 temps dropped dramatically, if only I'd done this before :hello2:

Oooh now that is interesting. That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of lining the inside of my (soon to be built, hopefully) metal obsy with. Good to hear that it does have a good cooling effect :hello2:

FYI: You can get the same thing for £10.99 at Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/thermawrap-loft-insulation-400mm-x-5m/76477 They also do a larger sized roll too.

Excesive heat can damage circuit boards/electrical items. I know this for a fact as I have a upvc shed with polycarbonate roof that I use for music recording.The heat generated killed one synth and caused two alarms to fail. Now I have the inside of the roof covered with this stuff http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/roof_insulation/Thermawrap-Loft-Insulation-11597554 temps dropped dramatically, if only I'd done this before :hello2:

Thank you very much. In this case, I'm going to by this stuff:)

Dont know how it will affect temps in other sheds, the roof was opaque so the sunlight was coming right in like a greenhouse, though for the price of a roll of that stuff it's worth a punt. You can also buy reflective roof paint though it isn't cheap!

Matt.

Archived