Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseids

saturn5

I'm sorry for making so many double postings but I cant control the excitement!!! And I need to share it with someone!!!!

I just saw a huge one, it lasted about a second but was really long and very bright. Not sure if it left a trail or if my eyes do that thing they do, when you look at something bright then look away, but I thought I could still see the path it took.

This is soooo cool, ASTRONOMY OWNZ US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Folks

I am quite confused, I am sitting in Southampton on a very clear night and I see nothing!! I am not a pro astronomer or anything, but I really thought I would see something if the weather was clear....well it is and I see nothing! :Am I alone here???

help!

Milky way out in all its glory tonight,beautiful,the perseids have been a bit of a disappointment,well i've seen about 30 but very few making the minus magnitude,nearly all the brighter ones have passed through or below the plough /bootes area,3 of those left trails lasting a few seconds.

Thats me had my coffee,back out again and if i fall asleep at work in the morning the cnc mill will carry on regardless :(

I'm sorry for making so many double postings but I cant control the excitement!!! And I need to share it with someone!!!!

I just saw a huge one, it lasted about a second but was really long and very bright. Not sure if it left a trail or if my eyes do that thing they do, when you look at something bright then look away, but I thought I could still see the path it took.

This is soooo cool, ASTRONOMY OWNZ US ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're getting to see them Philip :( Its great fun isn't it - even if they are not appearing in huge numbers! Saw 8 with Jean earlier, but now clouded out :)

Helen

Went out with a patio chair and sat with the street lights behind me, saw a few more, didn't really count them though. Mind you I would say it was a -1 Mag one shot through Ursa Major westwards, left a nice trail behind it.

I would say all in all I have seen 40 since just before 10ish.

Great, but slightly disappointing, especially how hyped it was.

Bring on the Leonids!

Kain

JANIC... Keep looking towards the W constellation of Cassiopia. That's very near to the Quadrant where they seem to shoot from. Allegedly, you are supposed to see around 1 per minute. Mmmm.... more like 1 in every 5-10 mins at the moment.

Thanks Tony...Since I posted my deflated message, I have seen 3, however, I must say, they were not anything more than glorified shooting stars! i saw no colour, nothing...

our right though, they are def much more infrequent than initially thought!

I want some colour action, but thinking of turning in for the night...cant decide..

Janic,the trouble with looking in the direction of where they are coming from is you miss a lot that shoot over your head,the majority of the ones i have seen have been to the north passing through the plough area,the meteors are fast and are not leaving long trails behind them so its very easy to miss them if your not looking in their direction,so try looking north or directly overhead,you will catch a few i hope :(

I just nipped out of work for 10 minutes and caught a lot of shorter ones but also a vivid, big red one that seemed to 'wobble' just before it ended.

Yep I saw that one Gaz, heading eastish?

Must have been a mis-shaped one skimming off the atmosphere making it look like it wobbled.

I wonder why it was red though? Copper based maybe?

Kain

Man that was awesome, throughout the whole night i must have seen about 70-80 meteors. Did anybody see that one at about 3.00am? it started at the top of cassieopea and shot straight down and lasted for about 5 seconds? had a really bright head on it?

These are the first meteors where i have seen like a grey trail after they have burnt out, sometimes the trail would stay there for 4-5 seconds.

I totalled 120 last night from 10.25 to 3.05. Just grabbed a comfy chair and concentrated on the western hemisphere of the sky where there is less light pollution here (Welsh borders). A bit of cloud and some light drizzle for the first hour then it all cleared to an amazing magnitude 5 or better visibility. Had two fireballs, one at 1.37am and another at 1.46am both near Ursa Minor. The latter one was a sporadic heading east and broke up into two parts with a lovely green colour to the tails. A great night out but I paid for it at work today where my level of concentration was near zero.

Archived