sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Everyone ready for the Perseids,forecast for north of scotland is clear skies,so it'll be raining no doubt :(:Has anyone seen any perseids this week?i saw three on wed night, green in colour and left a faint trail for a couple of seconds.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seen three total but then the Perseids are probably the biggest let down on the astro calender. But i will go out for 30mins or so around 10.30, see what i what i see.

Russ

I thought that you were on your hols? Got the envelope BTW - Thanks

I'm out now in the garden - wiresless network gets better everyday.

I have the camera all set up to the lappy, to take 5 minute exposures while I sit back and relax!

They mentioned the shower on BBC1 this morning - advised people that they could just open their curtains and look East and see lots of them! A load of rubish if every I heard some.

Good luck all

Ant

Looks like clear skies for tonight and tomorrow. I an hoping to have a go at the Ring and the Dumbbell tonight, so I will kick back and watch for meteors for an hour or so. Last year I saw three - orangeish and moderately fast. The Perseids come from the direction of Perseus, roughly northeast. I also saw one sporadic meteor last year, much faster, fainter, and coming from the south.

It was very clear here last night, i woke up at about 2am and just stared at perseus for about 5 mins.

I saw 2 definate persieds, one vey faint and fast one, then a very bright one just below cassieopea, which was very slow, it started off faint then kind of pulsated and got much brighter, the words that came out of my mouth were along the lines of holy **** :(

It's predicted 1% cloud cover here in North West London tonight, so fingers crossed!

Tonights the nigh folks, the weather is going to be FANTASTIC!

Got a little star party going on here tonight, a load of us is going up to the local dark spot with pop and crisps (and beer!)

I can't wait!

Kain

I saw 4 in 30 mins last night.

A bright Mag 0 one went through Lyra and down into Eastern Hercules. Trail was yellow and about 15 degress long

The other 3 were all much fainter Mag 2/3 and went through the Corona Borealis & Bootes area.

Cheers

Ian

I saw none in an hour last night. With my skies, a meteor would have to be at least mag 2 to have a decent chance of seeing it. We got some thin cloud in patches last night, but as I could still see the brighter stars, I kept watching. Times were 9:50 to 10:20, and midnight to 12:30. Maxinmum is suppoed to start at about midnight my time tonight. I don't think I'll be up that late, as I have to work tomorrow, but I may observe until 11:00 or so.

Got the ring in my scope last night, with some effort, but it was a very faint and muddy ring indeed. Didn't try for the Dumbbell, as that thin cloud started in.

MetOffice is again predicting wall2wall clouds across most of Wales, even though I am pretty miffed as I haven't seen one I am not too bothered as I will be up @ 5am for work.

That is about the time maximum starts.

Holy Rubbish, did anyone see that huge bright one about 30 minutes ago heading east from cassieopea? It's clear here in London, just some low level cloud coming in, gonna go back out later when they [removed word] off.

The missus and I went out around 10.30, laid back on the 'sun loungers', and counted five in a twenty minute period. Four very short, but one good one, with a nice tail.

Have come in for a cuppa now, and will go back out around midnight for a while.

Can't believe that the missus actually wanted to go out and have look :shock:

Dave

Ive got a clear sky at the zenith and towards the West, is this no good for spotting them?

I keep seeing lines crossing the sky but I think I just want to see them so bad that I'm imagining them!

The sky has cleared up enourmously and I'm almost positive I just seen one!!!!!!! It flew straight through the constellation Bootes but it was so quick I nearly missed it.

Its a case of looking in the right place at the right time really isnt it!

I saw a very very bright one near zenith earlier at about 10.45pm, so yeh mate you should be able to see one, especially later when perseus get's higher in the sky, they reckon at the peak it could top 1 or 2 a minute :(

Oh and you'll know when you see one, they are bright as hell, i know what you mean about imagining little tsreaks across the sky, sometimes they are real!

Most of the ones i have seen have been around cassieopea!