Couldn't resist anymore, bought a scope & started shooting the sun! First result...

Grinde

Hey guys!

Deeping a deepsky-guy, the long swedish summers leaves me with nothing to do for almost six months due to lack of darkness (N63°)... & seeing so many ppl getting awesome results during the summer shooting the sun dressed in shorts & tshirt (my usual outfit is double overalls, -30°C), I finally gave up trying to resist. So I decided to start shooting the sun... After putting my race-motorcycle up for sale(dangerous stuff anyway), I bought a 2nd-hand Coronado Solarmax II 90mm doublestack in Italy, it was actually cheaper to fly down & pick it up, than sending it by shockproof package with UPS...

Here's an image from my first imaging-run, using my friends DMK31. It was kinda tricky figuring out the settings for gain/exposuretime/gamma on my own, and the stacking was new to me too, never done imaging with a "video-camera" before... Enough talk, here's my first good 'un!

best 250 frames from 5000, 30fps, drizzled 1.5x. Since it's my first, I had lots of fun processing it, I tried a more "artistic" approach than the regular realistic method... I inverted the surface, & gave the "background" a blue touch, I've seen this a couple times before & thought I'd give it a go.

I'll probably keep experimenting with different styles, until I find my own style & stick with it.

Here it is!

Click image for fullsize version

7261195956_0d6c07d5f6_b.jpg

Thanks for watching

Jonas

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one that thinks this fake? are we being trolled? isnt the sun white and not orange? Sorry but prove me wrong. Picture looks amazing.

There is no reason to consider this fake, the detail is certainly plausible with the equipment specified. The Op has chosen to colour the raw mono image in his own way that appeals to their own taste like most solar imagers do.

Am I the only one that thinks this fake? are we being trolled? isnt the sun white and not orange? Sorry but prove me wrong. Picture looks amazing.

He's using a hydrogen alpha scope, not a white light filter.

I cant actually type what I said when I first saw this photo :-) but its one stonking shot! Ive never seen such granulation from anything less than full pro gear, but then yours isnt far short of that. You should try to mosaic/stitch a full sun next I bet that would look stunning :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your kind comments!

I finally got my own camera delivered now, and got some new data to work with, I'm having a go at taking seperate exposures for the prominences, it's really tricky blending 'em together... I'm starting to prefer inverting the luminance for these h-alpha shots, I'd say it's making the shot more 3dimensional ...

Archived