Is a DMK41 better than a DSLR for solar?

StevieDvd

Wondering whether there is any merit in using a dmk41 with my PST or Baader Ceramic Herschel wedge instead of a dslr?

If it would help getting a better or easier capture of full solar disk then I'll use my pocket money on one.

If not then a new focuser may be this months toy. :(

The best results from solar imaging are with using many hundreds to thousands of frames. With a DSLR (unless you use the video out) that will start to tell on your mechanical shutter eventually. Somthing like the DMK41 will still give you the resolution of a DSLR chip, with fast frame rate, and no shutter to wear, so for me it makes it a better choice if you are looking to do a lot of solar / lunar imaging.

You are also using a hi-resolution mono chip in the DMK41 with no bayer layers to worry about so you get the best resolution and detail.

the DMK41 and PST are a good match as you will get a full solar disk. Add a x2.5 Powermate for extra magnification later on :(

Thanks guys,

Looks like you've helped me spend my pocket money. :(

make sure you buy a short nose piece with no shoulder so that the front of the camera casing can touch the top of the PST eyepiece tube. You will struggle to reach focus if you don't.

make sure you buy a short nose piece with no shoulder so that the front of the camera casing can touch the top of the PST eyepiece tube. You will struggle to reach focus if you don't.

Have one of those already which I got with the DMK21 so I had both the short & long options covered.

I'll pretend the camera is for night usage so I don't invoke any extra cloud cover during the daytime :(

I'll pretend the camera is for night usage so I don't invoke any extra cloud cover during the daytime :(

You might well get away with that. They can be used as guide cameras quite effectively :)

What they said :(

If you plan to use the DMK41 with the Baader Wedge, you may want to invest in Baader's T-C mount adaptor plus T ring to hold the filters. It gives a much shorter imaging path that you might need depending on the refractor you use it with. Very nice bit of kit and includes an IR cut filter.

Picture of my setup below and links to the adaptors on TS site here: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4392_Baader-adapter-C-mount-to-T-2-w--integrated-IR-cut-filter.html and https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p551_Baader-Adapter-SC-male-to-T2-male---very-short-----27.html

Cheers

Ian

ibdSMGZOB56ZDb.jpg

For zoomed in shots you might want to be able to reduce the filter density a bit to keep the exposures short. Your could go for the DMK51 is you want slightly more field of view, depends on how much pocket money you want to spend. For white light I would also add a continuum filter and a UV-IR blocker to to help bring out the detail.

Cheers

PEter

If you plan to use the DMK41 with the Baader Wedge, you may want to invest in Baader's T-C mount adaptor plus T ring to hold the filters. It gives a much shorter imaging path that you might need depending on the refractor you use it with. Very nice bit of kit and includes an IR cut filter.

Picture of my setup below and links to the adaptors on TS site here: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4392_Baader-adapter-C-mount-to-T-2-w--integrated-IR-cut-filter.html and https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p551_Baader-Adapter-SC-male-to-T2-male---very-short-----27.html

Cheers

Ian

ibdSMGZOB56ZDb.jpg

Thanks Ian,

I'd seen your setup in an earlier thread and wondered about the adapters you'd used. I'll have a play with the camera & baader herschel 'as is' to see what it's like but next months pocket money may now be earmarked.

For zoomed in shots you might want to be able to reduce the filter density a bit to keep the exposures short. Your could go for the DMK51 is you want slightly more field of view, depends on how much pocket money you want to spend. For white light I would also add a continuum filter and a UV-IR blocker to to help bring out the detail.

Cheers

PEter

The DMK41 has been ordered already :) and I have the continuum filter in 2" with the baader herschel and I think I still have a small uv-ir which can go on the dmk41 nosepiece. All of course depending on being able to focus it all, otherwise it's more adapters :)

Thanks

Cheers

Ian

Duly ordered! The Herschel is a nice bit of kit itself but I had no real luck getting a good focus using the dmk21 with short nosepiece so the dmk41 may not fare any better.

Pocket money and a little more spent, I'll have that IMF woman moaning about my finances next.

Archived