Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optical Hardware 25x100 binoculars

I came across an ad for a pair of Optical Hardware 25x100 binoculars. Optical Hardware is a brand that I am unfamiliar with. Looking at the item it looks strikingly like a pair of Helios Quantum 4's that retail from FLO at £275. However, the Optical Hardware version retail at £499.

The selling is advertising these at £500 including a Manfrotto 475B Tripod, Manfrotto 501HDV Head and Rigel Quikfinder Mount.

I am curious as to whether the Optical Hardware pair are from the same factory as the Quantum 4's or whether they are better quality?

PS. I noticed also that a pair of their BM45's retailing at £1599 is identical to a pair of Helios Quantum 5's which retail at around the £850 mark. Looks definitely like re-badged kit. So what is the deal with this outfit? Do they have them built to a higher spec or is this just a rebranding exercise?

FWIW the tripod and head will serve you well for scopes as well as bins - I use mine for my 4" f9 frac as well as a 5" mak. the centre column that goes up and down is incredibly useful. (I have an 058B which i think may be slightly heavier but similar)

FWIW the tripod and head will serve you well for scopes as well as bins - I use mine for my 4" f9 frac as well as a 5" mak.

Yes, I had considered that which is why I am even contemplating this offer so thanks for confirming its usefulness in that respect. I could also purchase the Manfrotto items seperately and still have enough for a small frac - or - purchase a Horizon 8115/8127 and buy a better frac/Mak or even better binos.

I'm not convinced about the binos on offer so I was hoping someone in the know might be able to advise?

I also have a decent Slik Dimond 88 tripod - occasionally used for photography - which might be up to the job. Steve at FLO reckoned they should handle the Helios Apollo 15x85 binos (4.8kg) so presumably they should be able to handle a frac or Mak?

Archived