SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asda cam Saturn

Jim-a

Heres the best I've managed over a couple of nights with the slightly more expensive (£7.95) Asda Cam. It was stacked in Linkeos.

I'm using a 4" reflector and can't seem to get better focus or more detail than this (I think - after a number of botched attempts! - I've finally got my head around collimating it - last night, even though the seeing wasn't great I had the most concentric set of star-test diffraction rings I've seen since I've been playing with it)

So... am I hitting the limits of the scope? (its a short tube newt - and I suspect the lens built into the focus tube isn't the best), or am I hitting the limits of the cheap cam (though having seen some other images on here I suspect not) or am I hitting the limits of my very limited experience?

Ta

Jim

post-35797-133877778392_thumb.jpg

Given you description of the scope I think it's entirely possible you're reaching its limitations, but Saturn is generally quite a tricky target for small aperture scopes at the moment and sadly will probably remain so for the next few years. At least, unless you move to the southern hemisphere :)

James

• 1 month later...

Seems to me like you are reaching the limits of your short tube.

For planets you really want to be going for a slow scope at F/6 to F/15.

What do you mean by the "lens built into the focus tube isn't the best"

You shouldnt have any lenses built into your telescope. Especially since you mention it is a reflector(uses mirrors not lense)

What do you mean by the "lens built into the focus tube isn't the best"

You shouldnt have any lenses built into your telescope. Especially since you mention it is a reflector(uses mirrors not lense)

Some short tube reflectors have a barlow type lens built into the focuser. I had a short Celestron 114mm as my first scope. It was a very short tube, maybe about 400mm long, and was F9 IIRC. This was achived with the built in lens.

I agree though, that you are probably reaching the limit of that scope on Saturn. Give it a couple of months and Jupiter will be back, they say it is a much easier target than Saturn..... time will tell for me though, lol.

Gary

Some short tube reflectors have a barlow type lens built into the focuser. I had a short Celestron 114mm as my first scope. It was a very short tube, maybe about 400mm long, and was F9 IIRC. This was achived with the built in lens.

I agree though, that you are probably reaching the limit of that scope on Saturn. Give it a couple of months and Jupiter will be back, they say it is a much easier target than Saturn..... time will tell for me though, lol.

Gary

Mars is very diffucult target. Easily found and tracked, but difficult to pick out detail. On larger scopes it looks brilliant though.My 114mm shows the ice cap very clear but the rest is either dark red or light red. Although a very clear night shows more detail, they are rare nights.Saturn will look amazing even with a 90mm. Not big, but amazing.

Took a video of the moon last night with my asdacam. It was awesome. Even in the wind and peeking through the single gap in the clouds.

Checked the file this morning, it is 2.5GB! WTF!? so dunno if I can upload it here.

Archived