Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Hunt for the Messiers

Naemeth

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is named like that Stellarium , that is where got it from the first time anyway, but checking the WIki, that also mentions it. Funnily enough, I find it generally easier to remember the numerical names for some reason Mxy, but with a name like that I will never forget it :)

• 2 months later...

Added M107 to the list, finally getting going again :).

I've looked through the whole list (that's left) with the occular plugin on Stellarium, and it seems that through my 10" dob the rest should be a good size, so I should be able to pick up the rest (especially M97 - the Owl Nebula - which has so far elluded me)

Added M107 to the list, finally getting going again :).

I've looked through the whole list (that's left) with the occular plugin on Stellarium, and it seems that through my 10" dob the rest should be a good size, so I should be able to pick up the rest (especially M97 - the Owl Nebula - which has so far elluded me)

Good stuff, interesting reading this forgotten thread where I mention where I had got to as well at that time, now that count has increased a lot since, not got my notes at hand, but I think approaching roughly the 40 mark or thereabouts on the Messier count. A bag of other NGCs as well, but where I am and my scope certain targets will jut not be doable, I need to get out for that to better sites. Never really thought about it 'till now, but wonder if all 110 Messier objects are doable in a scope such as mine. I suspect it is, but it would probably need traveling to some places to get good enough skies. After all my scope should be on par if not better compared to what Messier had himself at the time I guess :)

• 1 month later...

After the rather successful haul of 12 DSOs (although they were ones I'd observed before), I'm feeling more confident than ever that I'll be able to complete the list. I certainly have the aperture, I just need the clear skies and time to take advantage of them :).

Archived