Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Hunt for the Messiers

Naemeth

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one, you are slowly getting closer to 110/110. Open clusters are generally the best DSOs to observe when the moon is bright. There are plenty of open clusters outside the Messier list around M103 well worth a visit

Unfortunately, at that time only M103 was visible, as the rest was covered by houses, as often happens.

• 3 weeks later...

More observing done to report :). I would have been out longer (my hands were fine as I had a mix of gloves and no gloves), but the clouds decided to come in :mad: .

Today I can tick off M36, M37, M38 and M1. M36-38 were very nice Clusters I must say, didn't see much of M1, just with averted vision. I think to have a good view of most of these, I will either need a darker sky or more aperture. Still, 74 to go!

Nice captures again. There are a few nice nebulae and smaller clusters near M36 and M38. Well within range of your scope (especially from a dark site).

Transportation for my scope is coming this Christmas, once I modify it for my scope, I should be able to get to a site that is slightly darker, and perhaps somewhere with near horizon views too :). No longer will the Orion Nebula (M42 / M43) be covered by my house!

• 3 weeks later...

Yahoo! First observing session in a while, but I've got 5 to add: M35, M42, M43, M67, M76

I'm glad I got M42/M43, I've been waiting ages for them to be in the right place to be visible.

I tried M108 and M97, I was in the right area, but they weren't there, not even with averted vision. They will probably have to wait until dark skies.

Yahoo! First observing session in a while, but I've got 5 to add: M35, M42, M43, M67, M76

I'm glad I got M42/M43, I've been waiting ages for them to be in the right place to be visible.

I tried M108 and M97, I was in the right area, but they weren't there, not even with averted vision. They will probably have to wait until dark skies.

Glad you bagged a couple more!

M108 and M97 need quite dark skies. A UHC filter helps with M97, but not with M108.

Glad you bagged a couple more!

M108 and M97 need quite dark skies. A UHC filter helps with M97, but not with M108.

Would they be possible with a larger aperture? I know I was in exactly the right place, but at around 11 or 12 magnitude, they were invisible. Could a light pollution filter help?

I have seen M97 with a 6" scope, and I guess even a 4" would do (I might give them a bash with the kids' 4.5" when the skies clear). An LPR filter can help, depending on the type of LP (best for low-pressure sodium light (pure yellow)). M108 I spotted first in my 8", but it was quite easy in that (on a good night, and near zenith!!)

I have seen M97 with a 6" scope, and I guess even a 4" would do (I might give them a bash with the kids' 4.5" when the skies clear). An LPR filter can help, depending on the type of LP (best for low-pressure sodium light (pure yellow)). M108 I spotted first in my 8", but it was quite easy in that (on a good night, and near zenith!!)

Much of the sky glow coming in and around the city is low-pressure sodium. I really don't know if my skies are dark enough to have a chance to be honest. According to this my limiting magnitude is 11, so it's right at the edge of what is possible. I'll just load up Stellarium to see when it next reaches zenith.

Okay, so it reaches zenith at around 4:00am... if I manage to get up that early on a clear night I'll be impressed!

Much of the sky glow coming in and around the city is low-pressure sodium. I really don't know if my skies are dark enough to have a chance to be honest. According to this my limiting magnitude is 11, so it's right at the edge of what is possible. I'll just load up Stellarium to see when it next reaches zenith.

Okay, so it reaches zenith at around 4:00am... if I manage to get up that early on a clear night I'll be impressed!

Just wait till later in the year. It will get there. M97 is rated at mag 9.9, but it is diffuse, so the surface brightness is not great. M108 is 10.7, but I found it easier than M97.

Just wait till later in the year. It will get there. M97 is rated at mag 9.9, but it is diffuse, so the surface brightness is not great. M108 is 10.7, but I found it easier than M97.

Thanks Michael, I'm sure I will eventually be able to get them all, or at least most of them, some may require a darker site.

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a long time since I last saw stars hasn't it... I didn't manage to get any scope viewing today, but I was checking out an observing site on my University Campus, and it turns out (at the top of a hill) that I get a brilliant Easterly and Southerly view down almost to the Horizon (probably 5 degrees), which is excellent! The light pollution is about as bad as my back garden, but the plus side is facing South and East there isn't the glare I normally put up with :). Once I've finished making my OTA + Mount transportable, that will be a great place to go as it is within walking distance :).

YAY! After much trying, looking through the eyepiece I saw M108! Mind you, I had to up the magnification to 32.5x (25x wasn't doing it!), but it was there, in averted vision of course. The Owl Nebula however wasn't there, but at least I got one of the pair. I may go out later tonight after midnight if it's still clear, as lights on our road go out then so it may help the LP a bit.

One more off the list :).

the owl nebula is a toughy although i found it easier than m109 which everyone seems to think is easy!if you can get m109 you should be able to gte m78 in orion and also the clusters below it(m46/47/48/50 etc)assuming you have a decent southern horizon

There lies the problem. East and South are difficult for me in my back garden. If they are high up enough, they are usually alright :).

Thanks for the help.

Congrats! I could never "see" m108 or m109 in urban skies (white-red zone) with a 100mm F/4 Newtonian scope, although I was just barely able to detect M97 with it. A change in location to suburban skies (orange zone or semi-dark skies) made all the difference - all the Messiers were visible with little difficulty. I see that you've nailed the Virgo-Coma galaxies, so you should be able to nab 97 & 109 at your current location eventually.

A 130mm F/5 Newtonian even in modest suburban skies (orange-zone) is a powerful instrument indeed. I've only taken my American version of the Heritage 130p (called the Bushnell Ares 5, no longer available) out to suburban skies only once, but the views of M5 & M13 globulars were amazing. Stars were exploding out of the core in all directions at around 130X.

Right now I'm using my smaller magenta-colored Orion Skyscanner (100mm F/4 Newtonian) and my white Orion Short Tube 80 (80mm F/5 achromat) as my "workhorse" scopes in suburban skies. Once I've taken these scope as far as I can, then I'll move up to my 130mm.

Congrats! I could never "see" m108 or m109 in urban skies (white-red zone) with a 100mm F/4 Newtonian scope, although I was just barely able to detect M97 with it. A change in location to suburban skies (orange zone or semi-dark skies) made all the difference - all the Messiers were visible with little difficulty. I see that you've nailed the Virgo-Coma galaxies, so you should be able to nab 97 & 109 at your current location eventually.

A 130mm F/5 Newtonian even in modest suburban skies (orange-zone) is a powerful instrument indeed. I've only taken my American version of the Heritage 130p (called the Bushnell Ares 5, no longer available) out to suburban skies only once, but the views of M5 & M13 globulars were amazing. Stars were exploding out of the core in all directions at around 130X.

Right now I'm using my smaller magenta-colored Orion Skyscanner (100mm F/4 Newtonian) and my white Orion Short Tube 80 (80mm F/5 achromat) as my "workhorse" scopes in suburban skies. Once I've taken these scope as far as I can, then I'll move up to my 130mm.

post-19733-0-42948100-1359334629_thumb.j

Honestly, I would move up to a 6" or preferably 8". those provide a serious step up from a 4". A 5" may dissapoint.

Archived