Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi i am thinking of getting some filters for my telescope but am just wondering if uk will get a chance of seeing the venus transit and if so what are the times ?

Regards Daren

Yes, we should just see the end as the sun is rising. From the east coast this is about 4.45 AM and last about 45mins - 1hour.

HTH,

Sion

Try the NASA website, just google the transit of venus 2012 and it will pop up. I have had trouble with the transitofvenus.org as well...it is slick, but not much nuts and bolts information there. The NASA site has tables and tables of ingress and egress times for cities around the world.

Yes, we should just see the end as the sun is rising. From the east coast this is about 4.45 AM and last about 45mins - 1hour.

HTH,

Sion

Thats my understanding. Basically all you need is a safe reliable solar filter:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

Edited by LukeSkywatcher