Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Building observatory with dome in southern Sweden

olawelin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I am happy to tell you that it's pretty much finished now, just some minor details left and maybe later I will get a motor for the dome, now it´s time for me to relax and wait for darker skies.

//Ola

post-9411-0-01697800-1339142236_thumb.jp

post-9411-0-37052800-1339142256_thumb.jp

post-9411-0-11626800-1339142270_thumb.jp

Ola, that is fantastic!

You have executed your plans perfectly and the end product is a credit to you.

If I ever win the Euro millions - I'm flying you over to build me an obsy.

Actually, no, if I win the lottery I'm buying a lighthouse for you to convert :grin:

Regards.

Thank you, It was not so expensive to build, the only expensive parts was the glass door and window, that was about 900£ and the total was about 3500£, excluding the mount and telescopes of course, cheaper then a CGE PRO or similar mount anyway :)

//Ola

Thank you, It was not so expensive to build, the only expensive parts was the glass door and window, that was about 900£ and the total was about 3500£, excluding the mount and telescopes of course, cheaper then a CGE PRO or similar mount anyway :)

//Ola

Ahh, but I would also need a nice house in a dark site too :) Looks like a nice location you have for it too with the fields in the background.

Ahh, but I would also need a nice house in a dark site too :) Looks like a nice location you have for it too with the fields in the background.

Oh, yes the house was a little more expensive, but the good thing about houses is that they usually get cheaper as the sky gets darker and you are away from the city :)

Ola, that is fantastic!

You have executed your plans perfectly and the end product is a credit to you.

If I ever win the Euro millions - I'm flying you over to build me an obsy.

Actually, no, if I win the lottery I'm buying a lighthouse for you to convert :grin:

Regards.

Yes, a lighthouse or an old windmill would be great to live in and to build an observatory in, that is my dream.

//Ola

The scope is a C11 edge HD with a little Lunt 35mm solar scope on top, replaceble if I want a guidescope instead.

I am considering a larger mount to be able to mount more scopes at the same time :) The Mesu 200 looks good and the new skywwatcher EQ8 might also be a possibility if they release it some day.

//Ola

• 3 months later...

Absolutely fantastic Ola! A dream build, it really is!

I think I read about this in a Swedish newspaper, could that be right?

How deep did you go for the pier foundation? Is frost free about 70cm down there?

The idea to have the pier go all the way is a clever idea - but I'd hesitate to be the first to do it, what research did you do to move to this sollution? Did you consider having a steel frame from the ground supporting the pier upstars - having moving joints between the obsy extension and the house?

I totally envy you your obsy there. I lived in Skåne on Söderåsen for many years - over a decade, and know how foggy it can be in the winter, but when the cold clear nights come, you can almost hear the stars.

Congratulations on the build!

Absolutely fantastic Ola! A dream build, it really is!

I think I read about this in a Swedish newspaper, could that be right?

How deep did you go for the pier foundation? Is frost free about 70cm down there?

The idea to have the pier go all the way is a clever idea - but I'd hesitate to be the first to do it, what research did you do to move to this sollution? Did you consider having a steel frame from the ground supporting the pier upstars - having moving joints between the obsy extension and the house?

I totally envy you your obsy there. I lived in Skåne on Söderåsen for many years - over a decade, and know how foggy it can be in the winter, but when the cold clear nights come, you can almost hear the stars.

Congratulations on the build!

Thank you, yes there were some articles about it a few mounths ago, Sydsvenskan, Skånskan, Kvällsposten and maybe Kristianstadsbladet wrote about it.

The depth of the pier is about 100cm, I didn´t do so much research before, just tried the construction and was prepared to put up more things later on if i wasn´t happy about it, like a steel frame mounted to the house.

But I´m happy with the results, the pier is rigid and as long as I don´t use the stairs during a photo session it should be good.

I just put in a new Mesu 200 mount http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/160923-another-mesu-200-mount/ and have been doing some visual observations, the photos will come when everyting is in place.

//Ola

Great build!, how has the waterproof coating on the dome performed till now? What product did you use (weblink maybe)?

Best wishes

Hi, I used a outdoor filler to put in the cracks and painted it with a regular boat piant, it should be very resistant to water, sun and wind.

//Ola

probablya stupid question but does the dome turn on its own in sync with the scope or do you move it as needed?thanks

I move it by hand for now, but there is plans to put motors in later on, if that works out OK I might try to connect it to the computer and sync it to the mount.

//Ola

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived