sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Solar Eclipse from Japan

carldr

Hi guys,

A quick, rough and ready image from over 500 I've just taken of the solar eclipse from Japan. We're about 100km north of Tokyo because of cloud cover, so we didn't get the moon dead centre on the Sun.

Anyway, wanted to upload an image to beat the guys on the west coast of the US!

I'll upload more later once I've got back to Tokyo and had a chance to go through the images I have.

Regards,

Carl.

post-21491-133877776856_thumb.jpg

Jealous! I was a teenager last time I got to see an eclipse, and was rather more interested in the young lady I was 'watching' it with. Well done on getting this great shot - look forward to seeing your others!

Sorry the delay in getting these up, I've only just found the time to sort the images out!

As mentioned above, we decided to drive north of Tokyo on the night before the eclipse due to Tokyo being forecast to be covered in cloud. We picked a place called Utsunomiya. It had Sun in the name, it seemed an ideal choice!

It was slightly cloudy when we awoke in Utsunomiya, so had to drive another 15 miles or so to get clear skies.

It turns out it was raining lightly in Tokyo at the start of the eclipse, but it cleared during it was happening, and the cloud was patchy at the point of maximum eclipse (Is that the term for an annular eclipse?!) So given that, I'm happy we drove out, even though it sacrificed the Moon being dead centre on the Sun. It would have been too risky to stay in Tokyo.

There was one slight hiccup while imaging - We had parked up on a small industrial estate, and it turns out the car park we picked was owned by Honda. The company's director came out, and although he was interested in what we were doing, because we were in a Toyota, he asked us to move. He helped us find another site though, but it meant we lost about 10 minutes.

The images were taken with a Takahashi FSQ85, Televue 2" Powermate x4 and Canon 5D Mk II camera, on a camera tripod which surprisingly handled the weight well. Seeing the eclipse makes lugging all the equipment out here worth it, although I'm not much looking forward to the return flight!

But enough talk, here's the images!

Regards,

Carl.

post-21491-133877778005_thumb.jpg

post-21491-133877778012_thumb.jpg

post-21491-133877778019_thumb.jpg

post-21491-133877778026_thumb.jpg

post-21491-133877778033_thumb.jpg

Edited by carldr

Stunning! I really jealous.

I'm a newbie and one thing that confuses me here is that I thought the Moon covered the Sun entirely (Sun's diameter 400 times greater but 400 times further away). That's why you can see the corona (in white light??). What am I missing here?!

Alexxx

Hey Alexxx,

The orbit of the Moon around the Earth, and orbit of the Earth around the Sun, aren't circular, nor concentric. The distance between the Moon and the Earth varies by about 15%, and the distance between the Sun and Earth varies too (although I'm not sure by how much.)

You may have heard at the start of the May about a "Super Moon", where the Moon appeared larger than normal. That's because the Moon was at its closest point to Earth in its orbit (called perigee), and it so happened it corresponded with a Full Moon, so the difference was noticeable.

15 days later, the Moon was at its farthest point in its orbit around the Moon (called apogee), and it so happened that that corresponded with a New Moon, and this solar eclipse. So on this occasion, the Moon appeared smaller than the Sun, and it resulted in the "ring of fire" around the Moon. This type of eclipse is called an "annular solar eclipse".

Regards,

Carl.