sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

choice

I am looking at the possibility of buying a Tal 120 refractor with a main use of astrophotography or a evostar 120 are there any thoughts on a choice or the type 120 or 150? .. Missed a chance to buy a evostar 120 on ebay by £5 and was a little miffed. On a more positive note here in Hertfordshire WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A CLEAR NIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAL don't do a 120 refractor - they do a 125 but they are as rare as hens teeth, as the saying goes. I think I've seen one for sale in the past 2 years !

The Evostars are decent scopes for visual use but do produce some false colour (as most achromats, including the TAL's, do) which makes them less than ideal for imaging. The Skywatcher ED Pro refractors, which come in 80mm, 100mm and 120mm apertures would make better imaging scopes I reckon. They do cost more than the achromats though.

Edited by John

I have a 4" Tal 100 RSM (with 2" focuser+ Vega drive corrector) and I think it is a great telescope, minimal false colour. These days I have only seen it available as just the optical tube assembly, or on a manual Tal mount, any motorised ones are on a non-Tal mount. Personally, I would not get it on the manual Tal mount, but would thoroughly recommend the telescope itself.

Can't comment on the Tal but the SW achromats are not imaging scopes. A camera 'sees' much deeper into the blue than the eye so what might give 'no false colour' at the eyepiece gives vast blue flying saucers at the camera. Even scopes sold s apos or semi apos can do this.

Olly

Thanks for your thoughts . However I am becoming ever more confused by the different opinions shown with regards lower entry telescopes for imaging. Have I got some of this right? Imaging with a camera or webcam is best done using a Refractor of 100-120mm with an f/10 - f/5 rating and not an achromatic. I will need to motorise my EQ5 mount for best results and use stacking software for any webcam footage taken to get good photos of deep space objects. My mind is awash with information but I need to start some where on the ladder. So my friends a few telescope models that have produced good results would be great.