Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Calling Suffolk Stargazers

ccbmedic

I have a caravan on a seasonal pitch just East of Ipswich, I've already had Squeaky come and spend the night and are wondering if anybody else would like to come along sometime. I consider the sky to be good for viewing but I'll let Squeaky make his own comments on the thread to give an unbiased opinion. I find it to be far more enjoyable if somebody is viewing with me. I've provided a link to the campsite to give any information should anybody be interested in joining me one evening. The more the merrier is what I say, drop me a pm if interested.

btw, the owners (good friends) are very keen to organize a starparty and theres a possibility of them building an observatory for interested parties. If your interested in any of this please do drop me a line.

Best Wishes,

Chris:icon_salut:

http://www.steadingspark.co.uk/

Furthermore, I can put 2 people up in the caravan so you only need your kit to view with!! Keeps costs to a minimum that way!! Should you decided to come and stay with a caravan or tent let me know and I'll get you mates rates;)

As the green supermarket keeps telling us ''every little helps''

How does it compare to the middle of Rendlesham Forest? I spent last weekend there and even non-astro types were commenting on the sky. I only ask because I would have thought the "15 minutes from Felixstowe" would potentially leave you at the mercy of the port lighting.

Either way, I'd consider it even if I have to bring the family - They seem to be dead after 9pm which is why I took astro up; It's very quiet compared to my other hobbies. :)

Russell

I cant answer that Russ. I did camp there once but was so drunk I never bothered with the stars hahaha. Felixstowe LP doesnt bother us there but again, Its a case of those that know to inform those that dont and Im the type of person who will get his kit out no matter what (providing the sky is clear) so Im not in the best position to advise on quality of skies, I just know that I get enjoyable viewing there moreso than I do at home (South Lowestoft)

Hi all,

Yes, Chris's skies are way better than mine, and next chance we get I'll redo that wide field photo of Ursa Major that I did recently and post both raw photos for a direct comparison. Shame the Pleiades aren't up - a star count there at each site would prove the point :) (Anybody know of a good "star count area" that's visible in current skies?)

As for a comparison with Rendlesham forest, pretty favourable. The bit I know was pretty much on par - but trees there held lowest horizon to about 10-15 degrees. I guess it depends on where you're viewing in Rendlesham, but Chris' horizons are good and low all round.

Russ Newbourn is set in a river valley and the effect from Felixstowe is mimimal to say the least. I also lived at Butley for a while and I would choose Newbourn evey time.

The Orwell obs group hold star evenings at the Newbourn village hall so it must have something going for it.

Thanks

Graham

Russ,

Families are always welcome at the site, as previously stated, if your going to do that and bring tents/caravan please just drop me a line beforehand as I get mates rates, its always handy having the owner as a drinking buddy!!

Thats sounds like a great idea, I am having a meeting next week with a group of astronomers in Halesworth who are part of the u3a group see link...

http://u3asitec.org.uk/live/code/u3asite.php?site=166&page=17131

They are looking for someone to take over from there previous group leader and I have put my name down so a suffolk star party sounds like a great idea. There are a lot of people stargazing in suffolk just got to round them all up.

Spread the word then QM and lets get them rounded up. Theres not a great deal to see or read on that link buddy, other than a possible jolly to seething, my local society!! Would be nice to see you up there matey or at the campsite!!

Best Wishes,

Spread the word then QM and lets get them rounded up. Theres not a great deal to see or read on that link buddy, other than a possible jolly to seething, my local society!! Would be nice to see you up there matey or at the campsite!!

Best Wishes,

Hi Chris

They are a very small group and the chap that used to run it has sadly passed away so they where looking for someone to take over. My wife and I joined the u3a last week and this friday I will be meeting with them to discuss further meeting and activitys. I was a member of seething a year or so ago but moved to Haleworth from bungay so did not renew my membership. I really joined seething to use the facility but they only opened on fridays so it was a bit disapointing nice bunch of people though.

Quite fancy a night start gazing in ipswich my sister lives up there and all her family so next time your planning a session let me know, I was born in Ipswich as well 48 Chevalier Street 1958:)

I will spread the word how about getting an official list of people and there details together. I will pm you mine for a start.

:)

Archived