Strange dovetail

maub

I have just purchased a Skywatcher 15cm dovetail to replace a longer one for fitting with guidescope rings. I did not pay too much attention to the picture when ordering and was surprised at the item I received. The dovetail has a central rectangular cross-section (with various notches), outer dovetails and lugs on each end. The rectangular cross-section is a bit too long to fit in my NEQ6, although, a quick file should sort that out. The rectangular section will also prevent it from fitting on a mounting bar.

I would be interested to know why this bar is such a strange shape - any ideas?

post-26294-133877776267_thumb.jpg

Already thought of that. I have an ST80 and EQ1. It does not fit on the EQ1 as the hole centres are different. Unless there are different versions of the EQ1.:)

Thanks for the replies. I shall probably use it to attach a camera as it has a hole threaded to 1/4 BSW. Next time I'll pay a bit more attention when ordering.:)

You get them with the CG5-ASGT as well, the angled notch is for the smaller angled screw on the saddle

I use it as a camera mount with a small adapter from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-3-8-5-8-Combined-Adapter-Screw-Camera-Tripod-/180699106481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a12818cb1#ht_5983wt_1180

For info this is what celestron say

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2008&nav=0,231

Archived