SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any ClickLock users here?

Folks - anyone out here using Baader's ClickLock system?

I'm looking for a new visual back and diagonal for the C11 as the Celestron supplied ones are far from befitting the price of the scope... it has a 3.25" thread on the back of the OTA with a 37mm aperture :)

What I'm interested in is whether you can use any 2" diagonal with it or whether you need to use their ClickLock diagonal? Got my eye on a TV Everbrite and it has a groove for the adjoining compression clamp and wondered if they'd be compatible...

Me again. I use this

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cs-dual-rate-sct-crayford-focuser-for-large-325-inch-thread.html

then attach this

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Baader_Clicklock_Diagonal_2_.html

the crayford gives the fine focus without image shift and the clicklock is simply the best diagonal I own. It holds the Ethos eyepieces effortlessly.

As you own the Edge you may not get the image shift I got so may only need this

http://www.baader-planetarium.uk.com/productinfo.php/accessories/adapters-rings-collars-etc/2-inch-clicklock-cl-scl-clamp/4086

with the clicklock diagonal. You could use the Televue one in the visual back as they are compatible but despite being a Televue fan I rate the clicklock diagonal above theirs.

Thanks m.tweedy, the shopping list grows :)

The image does shift while focussing, maybe 1/6 or so of the view - is this normal? Next time I prep for launch I will run the focusser from end to end just to see if it smooths out some grease, as the focussing knob is quite stiff.

For now at least, I'm only visual so unless I'm seeing abnormal shift, I'll wait and see how it goes. I do want to secure my glass and minimise light obstruction (I didn't buy it for its FOV though!)

The Baader Click-Lock system is very effective and gives a higher sense of security than standard screw type visual backs in my opinion. Should work with any diagonal including the TeleVue - I've used the Click-Lock SCT Clamp on an 8" SCT with both WO and Astro Physics diagonals.

One thing to watch out for though is that the clamp does add significantly to the length of the focuser system. I had to sell the Baader Click-Lock diagonal (the white one) for instance, because the minimum racked in focus was too long for my otherwise binoviewer-friendly refractor to come to focus. Every other diagonal I've used allowed for focusing with a little room to spare.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks chaps. I'll have to get the rule out and measure the Celestron VB, as Baader says their C11 version is 40mm. I don't want to add FL to it unnecessarily but I'm assuming there is a sweet spot?

with a sct there is lots of focus leeway. Dont forget i have added a crayford and the clicklock diagonal to the length of the light path with no issues at all. i thought the edge had some sortt of supports to stop mirror flop

with a sct there is lots of focus leeway. Dont forget i have added a crayford and the clicklock diagonal to the length of the light path with no issues at all. i thought the edge had some sortt of supports to stop mirror flop

Yep. the additional length of the CL mechanism won't be a problem for the standard SCT. The issue I had was specifically with the Baader Click Lock diagonal fitted to my refractor - the CL mechanism is only a mm or two longer than a standard diagonal eyepiece clamp, but that's critical for binoviewing in refractors if you're trying to avoid using barlows or optical correctors.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes its very good; totally secure and easy to change attachments. But the SCT focus issues got to me and so replaced it with Baader Steeltrack crayford which is great; even better now I have fitted a Lakeside motor to the C11.

post-16111-1338777818_thumb.jpg

post-16111-133877781808_thumb.jpg

post-16111-133877781815_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, l've pulled the trigger! Next stop: diagonal... not having that Celestron one marking my EPs :hello2:

so what did you go for?

A clicklock diagonal would look good and feel secure if it was the visual back you went for.

ClickLock vb for C11 so far. Still toiling over the diagonal :)

Torn between the ClickLock diagonal and the Everbrite as they both seem to leave the 2" light at 2". Everbrite maybe a nose ahead with its single piece construction, but more coin :hello2:

Any thoughts on how I guesstimate any change in focal length? Between the options and vs original?

not much difference in focal length. the reason I went for the clicklock is twofold. on a cold night it locks so tight and easily with gloved hands compared to the little thumbscrews (and believe me Kielder gets COOOOOLD) and also it just feels substantial and solid. The mirror is tough.

I was tempted with the Televue diagonal but because of the ethos eyepieces chose what I felt was a more secure locking mechanism-you should have already found this out with having the visual back. why the visual back as opposed to a crayford?

You cannot lose with either one.

Archived