Home made solar filter

sanmatt

Thanks starnut

It's working well too, but it's cloudy here and there so we're struggling a bit. I can see the entire disc, it takes up most of the FOV (with a 25mm) but theres clear distinct sunspots on the surface, quite a few of them. It's brightish white but it's comfortable on the eyes :) The sunspots vary in shade from dark grey to lighter grey. Tried the 10mm but it's a cheapy ep so just shows things a bit bigger, nothing special.

Not sure if we can track with a celestron Nexstar goto though..keep losing the flipping disc!

We're currently chasing it about, but trying to work out if we can track it or not, or at least keep it reasonably in the FOV. At least long enough to get a piccy!

eta - cloudy all night, cloudy all day. I'm going to take up knitting!!

To see what's on the EP and what's not just rotate the EP. Only things on it will turn.

Watch the caps on the finder. If they come off, the expression 'Flaming red hair' might turn from metaphorical to literal!!!

You setup looks good. It's a real buzz to see solar detail.

Olly

To see what's on the EP and what's not just rotate the EP. Only things on it will turn.

Watch the caps on the finder. If they come off, the expression 'Flaming red hair' might turn from metaphorical to literal!!!

You setup looks good. It's a real buzz to see solar detail.

Olly

Drat!, I wanted to say rotate the eyepiece, but too late again:)

It looks a bit permanent that filter, or at least, difficult to remove and reuse.

The filter is snug so it shouldn't fall off but it comes on and off lovely.

Have the dslr on at the mo, snapping away like a good 'un, Clouds teasing me though, however I have got a collection of eery looking pics.

Thanks Richard

Anyone know what the wispy bits are at 1-3 oclock, and 4-5 O clock?

It was cloudy out but theres no other cloud on the outside of the sun showing, so I dont think those bits are clouds. What is it please?

Nice work Sandra (and hubby). :)

The wispy bits look like reflection of some sort to me as they coincide with the brighter parts visible on the suns surface due to the cloud.

Once you get a clear look (tomorrow morning looks good down our way), this should all settle out.

Cheers

Ian

I don't know what I mean :)

Reflection is the wrong word, what I mean is where there is much brighter light (because of the cloud), you get a corresponding brighter patch extending outwards from the suns edge.

When you have clear skies, you will probably get a hard edge to the sun but with a grey sky surrounding it with that amount of aperture. Hence where there is cloud on this shot you don't see it.

When you get clear skies it'll be clear what I mean.

Hopefully :)

If not, feel free to tell me I'm a fool.

Cheers

Ian

Archived