Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My astro society membership...are my day's numbered?

cloudbuster

As an update, through offering the Astronomy GCSE, publicity, observing events and tarting ourselves out at each oppourtunity we have increased our membership by 37% [27 to 37 may not sound as good] since February.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My nearest astronomical society is in Wolverhampton. I attended a few meetings last year, and on the surface everyone was friendly, but I stopped going in the end because quite frankly it was boring.

Not once was there an observing session before the meetings began (despite their website stating there would be), and the talks I saw, although interesting up to a point, were VERY in-depth and biased towards facts and figures rather than practical observing tips. It was certainly not an enviroment that helped me advance as a visual observer of the night sky, in fact it nearly put me off completely!

I know that it has been going for a good many years, and that the members probably really enjoy their meetings, but there was no emphasis placed on the practical side of observing, which is what I and several other newbies who I met there really wanted.

The club i belong too, we have a room booked at the local nature reserve, where we all meet, we have little presentations from members of the club who have specific interests. If it is clear the scopes will be set up outside, and people wander in and out of the building, but we all sit down to listen to the talks, out of respect and as well as them being very interesting.

It depends what you like, i do enjoy being on my own in the garden, but once a month its nice to get together with people who have the same interest as no-one in my family shares it.

John P: What you say makes unfoirtunately some sense. They are talks, not teaching meetings or courses.

From a club point of view covering basic observing will interest just those that have started, the remainder of the club will either already know or not be interested.

From that aspect what you want would interest possibly 5 members only. Then the rest (majority) of the club have a reason for complaint. More likely they just would not attend those evenings and the clubs would lose income.

Sorry but the club does not exist for beginners only and as a club it is therefore having to consider the majority at the expense of the minority.

Did you consider the option of asking if someone would run a beginners observing "course" say 3 or 4 nights where people pay say £3-5 a night. That way you get what you want, they get some extra income. This assumes that the other beginners think it worthwhile and pay also for the nights.

Did you consider the option of asking if someone would run a beginners observing "course" say 3 or 4 nights where people pay say £3-5 a night. That way you get what you want, they get some extra income. This assumes that the other beginners think it worthwhile and pay also for the nights.

We would never ask for extra money for running a course like this. Our members give their time freely (as far as I know) with observing hints and tips. We hold two open nights a year and other observing sessions in between as well-but this is weather permitting. The only instruction we have a charge for is the £120 for the astronomy GCSE which has two observing 'practicals' and covers the basics of the theory side.

In resopnse to the wishes of members we hold a 'pre meeting meeting' in the pub over the road from the village hall from where we meet where it can be easier to ask questions of more experienced members.

To an extent a club is what the members want it to be. Our next guest speaker will be showing ten astro images he likes and talks about them, the month after we have a speaker talking about amateur astronomers who became astronauts. Our next 'in depth' speaker is next spring with a talk about spectroscopy. We may be having a temporary surge in membership but we really hope we are offering something to everyone.

John P: What you say makes unfoirtunately some sense. They are talks, not teaching meetings or courses.

From a club point of view covering basic observing will interest just those that have started, the remainder of the club will either already know or not be interested.

From that aspect what you want would interest possibly 5 members only. Then the rest (majority) of the club have a reason for complaint. More likely they just would not attend those evenings and the clubs would lose income.

Sorry but the club does not exist for beginners only and as a club it is therefore having to consider the majority at the expense of the minority.

I understand everything you are saying Capricorn. The point I was trying to make was that there was no provision at all for newbies. I would not expect any society to introduce wholesale changes to how it presents its meetings just for new members, but I would have thought they would try and encourage new people to swell their ranks. Also, as amateur astronomy is a practical hobby, i expected to pick up useful tips on observing. Let's face it, If you go to a chess club, you play chess :grin:

I understand everything you are saying Capricorn. The point I was trying to make was that there was no provision at all for newbies. I would not expect any society to introduce wholesale changes to how it presents its meetings just for new members, but I would have thought they would try and encourage new people to swell their ranks. Also, as amateur astronomy is a practical hobby, i expected to pick up useful tips on observing. Let's face it, If you go to a chess club, you play chess :grin:

And that is the nail on the head!! My experiences of astro clubs have been similar, all talk no action.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Capricorn's post implies that newbies aren't 'truly' welcome, lip service might be paid to the notion of welcomming newbies but the underlying subtext is that the clubs would prefer intermediate and advanced amateur astronomers. I think this sort of mindset is picked up on by newbies, the clubs can say all the right things but it's often the way they're said that indicates the real thoughts behind the veneer of newbie friendly speak.

Obviously not every club is wary of newbies but it does tend to be a common theme popping up on these forums.

BTW I'm not attacking Capricorn, just the mindset of the clubs.

Let's face it, If you go to a chess club, you play chess :grin:

But what if the chess club is populated by grandmasters? You are likely to be thrashed every meeting until you lose interest or join in on the organisational side of things and then change the structure of the meetings. Unless snow stops you getting to the chess club the activities aren't weather dependant either.

The current issue of our club newsletter (PM with your email for a copy) has images from a 'grandmaster' who went to Arizona for clear skies to image DSOs and ones from the secretary's 4" scope that they took in their back garden in the UK.

Our Chair has 'Doctor' in front of their name and is a consultant for the BBC and the aforementioned secretary relies on luck and bodging.

If you have joined an astro soc don't complain about it, change it. Put yourself up for the committee, tell the committee what you want and how they can increase membership and spend a year sorting the Soc out. Then stand for re-election and keep up the good work.

My closest Astro So is a 2hr drive so I for one can't join my local.

Perhaps in time to come I will set up one here local to me, but until then, you guys/gals are the closest thing that I have.

My local Astro Soc seems to have a good system. It meets once a month in the Physics department of the university for a talk/lecture which is often given by a professional, but some times and amateur.

It also has an observing group which meets on a regular basis (weather permitting) at one of two dark(ish) sites not too far out side the city. These sessions are often attended by new comers, some of whom bring along there brand new scopes especially to get advice. We often get people bringing their children along as well. This is great, I will never forget the look on a 9 year old boys face when he saw the Orion nebula for the first time through my 10 inch Newtonian.

This system works well, some people just go to the lectures, some to the observing sessions, others to both.

Cloudbuster, if they have been outright rude to you and they make you feel unwelcome then just leave. They obviously have few social skills and no interest in new people, so why push it? Their goal is to chat with each other, they just aren't interested in a new people. Go find yourself a new club or get together with members who have left the "bad" club. Even if you're all beginners, you can still help each other and learn from each other.

You should not be having the experience you have had. I've only interacted with four different astro clubs in my time, but they have all been incredibly welcoming and keen to share knowledge. Go find yourself one of those clubs.

The astro society I visited was a strange experience. I was very new to the hobby and went to the meet with a great deal of trepidation.

I found that they were a very friendly bunch of people and I even received a Christmas card within 10 minutes. They didnt even know my name at this point. It was a great start.

Unfortunately the group did not seem very active regarding observing sessions or events outside of the monthly society meet. Shame really as everyone was approachable and willing to answer my very stupid questions.

I am feeling a bit guilty for what may be a snap judgement based on a one hour meeting so I am going to give it another go.

Dave

Archived