Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

.....and a Mars also from 15th May

Kokatha man

.....like the Saturn, a bit lame - but with Mars so tiny and the seeing uncooperative it's a bit better relative to that Saturn I posted a couple of hours ago....!;):D

The volcanoes poking through the clouds give it a tiny amount of credibility I suppose...:)

post-16205-133877775791_thumb.png

Thanks everyone - the more I reflect upon it the better is my opinion of the end-result I guess:icon_scratch:.....and it was only 8.89" in diameter.....I'd originally processed the 3X drizzle image of this and wasn't impressed at all, but the 1.5X drizzle carried the interpolated data much better (understandably!:)) and thus my comments to Ringrocket re said.....

I had decided Mars was dead and buried some time ago, but if I get some decent seeing opportunities I've decided I'll still take a shot at it and see just how far it can be taken...

David, this was taken with a C14 via a filter wheel and mono Flea3 camera, using an Antares 1.6X barlow and extension tube to create around 11 metres in focal length.;)

Thanks Stuart and Paul.....I wish I could've grabbed an image of these volcanoes (Tharsis) wreathed in clouds like this around opposition - I got this perspective around that time, but the seeing was very poor and there were virtually no clouds over that region.....it seems to add another dimension to their presence when poking through the vapour!:)

Mike - for the record I never said anything about it being rubbish whatsoever.....and in the other thread that was concurrent with this I articulated what I've just said again in my latest (Saturn) thread.....

"Thanks bg1 - as I constantly state, anything I say about my own images relates solely to them and how I appraise my own efforts/opportunities.....it is absolutely NO intimation about others outcomes - that would be stupid as everyone has different amounts of experience but more importantly equipment and seeing opportunities (and saying that, being semi-retired I can get out into areas with generally better skies much more often than most..!)

And I guess I like to have a little whinge about the "ones that got away" or somesuch like fishermen - or what "might have been"..!:):(:D"

I've taken plenty of stick about the comments I made and that's okay:D.....but (a) I never described them as "rubbish" (which I think we'd all agree would've been the most derogatory description)

and (:evil6: whilst having a whinge, they are my own appraisals and don't reflect one iota on anyone else's work - I think my record of praise and encouragement as well as assistance to others here on SGL is reasonable well established to refute any arrogant etc attitude therein....!:)

when i see an image of this quality, and then the person saying that it's rubbish/lame/poor, it actually annoys the hell out of me, because some people would only dream of getting a picture like that.

I can understand both emotions here. But its hard not being self critical. After years of doing this thing. Expectations get very high.

Infact without being critical. The urge to keep improving may slide.

Its not comparing other peoples, its comparing yourself. Each different level defines what the person sees. or gets out of there images. As one improves they get more self critical. its just natural

I may not like certain images from others as a ultimate thing. But can still appreciate, what that person may see in it for themselves. if they are just starting or trying to improve. I can appreciate it from different perspective of begining. or starting. or improving.But We cant love everything. But we can appreciate what it means to that person. Or even other people. In the context of learning, improving. And doing astronomy. On that front its all good. And i know Darryl sees it similar. With hes encouragment of begginers

Thanks Neil - in hindsight I probably whinge quite a bit of the time 'cos I'm striving for the best I can do each and every time and sometimes that's unrealistic.....as I said with these images, I was a little OTT with my initial criticism - but even with my modified appraisal I still wish I'd caught the Tharsis volcanoes swathed in clouds like this image when Mars was at opposition.....opposition comes and goes so quickly and then it's another 2 year wait, and I'm 63 - but ok, I'll admit it, I'm never satisfied..!:):(:)

Archived