Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Damo636

Baader Classic Orthos

Thanks for that.

I like the focal lengths they come in.

How do these compare with the orthos?

Don't know as I haven't tried them or any of those 4 or 5 I mentioned. There should be plenty of stuff on google, cloudy nights etc.

Andy.

What I didn't like was calling an Abbe ortho a 'completely new design', when they are in fact just improved / modified version of the original Abbe.

Gotchya :)

Doing some more diigging I've found a statement that says that they're not copies of any other eyepiece in production anywhere but are a new from the ground-up design based on the "heritage" of the Zeiss designs that Baader has on file.

So basicly a Zeiss eyepiece design then, but using new technology and a bit of a re-work to make them cheaper to manufacture.:)

We'll see :)

John

It is a bit like saying you've come up with "a completely new design" for a newtonian telesope, isn't it?

James

Anyone managed to get hold of one of these Classics yet? I've just been told by Teleskop-service that they haven't had any from Baader yet, and Baader have given them no estimated delivery date, so no eta on the one I ordered.

(Seems like Baader are having general problems with deliveries atm...waiting for Baader branded stuff from FLO as well).

Edited by Marki

It is a bit like saying you've come up with "a completely new design" for a newtonian telesope, isn't it?

I think not. With a Newtonian optical design you have just two parameters, the focal length and the mirror diameter. With an ortho, the design has four glass to air sufaces, two internal surfaces, four glass thicknesses, one airgap and up to four glass types. I make that 15 paremeters against the two for for a Newtonian. Further some glass types available to Abbe are unlikely to be available now, but new glasses such as lanthanum and ED glasses are available. So the general lens layout could stay the same, but the detail design would be entirely different. It is the same with refractor telescopes.

Edited by cs1cjc

"A completely new design" is for the body, not for the lens.

BCO 6 and 10mm have a volcano-top inside of a ring. That dedign gives eyelash clearance at the time that doen't hurt the eyeball... The ring houses a rubber eyecup with lateral shield.

BCO are made ex novo, but they are not "a new optical design"

Hi folks,

Baader claim that the eyepieces are a completely new design with a new generation of their phantom coatings. They're also now claiming that they have increased sharpness and contrast compared to the BGOs. :icon_eek:

That sounds like pure advertisment too me....

I would prefer to read some hard facts, like:

Optical designs?

Which glas types?

Spot diagrams on and off axis for f/15 f/10 and f/5 light cones

How many multicoating layers and how much transmission over the range of visible wavelength?

Where will these eyepieces be manufactured?

Cheers, Karsten

Edited by KaStern

I think it's pretty certain that the optical design will still be the Abbe orthoscopic design. Baader made a big deal of the BGOs being so. As far as I'm aware they are being manufactured in China, but I guess that could change.

James