Newbie question/s

Dazzyd

Hi all

I'd like to do some imaging for the Venus transit but looking into that and some of the amazing images posted on here I'd like to do some solar imaging irrespective of Venus. I've got a 150PL with a Nikon D80 and a t-ring (not used it yet). I'm going to get a solar filter ordered probably tonight from FLO (so I'll probably have it on Saturday so I can start practising :)) but to get the surface texture detail, do I need any other filters? Or will good exposure setting and focus do the job with some processing in Photoshop later?

Thanks for any help you can give guys ;)

I tend to shoot a run of about 50 frames in RAW mode and then stack them in Registax5.

Have no set procedure for the wavelet tweaks , just have a play and see how you get on.

Haven't got into the Photoshop area yet but as long as you save as you go thru the procedure you can always have another play at a later date.

Check out Youtube for Registax tutorials to get you started .

Have fun ....:)

Thanks Steve. Having just the D80 body connected to the scope (120mm focal length), what sort of size would I expect to see on the images? Would I see the whole disc or partial? I've wanted to try the D80 and t-ring out on the moon but I aint staying up till 3 in the morning for that, I'll wait till the moon comes around at a more civil time LOL. So, I have no idea what sort of views I should expect from it.

Thanks again :)

Image size at prime focus can be easily calculated ("ang_d" is the object's angular diameter in radians):

0.5 * img_size / f = tan(0.5 * ang_d)

For common targets the angular diameter is small, so we can approximate tan(x) ≈ x, which simplifies the formula to:

img_size = ang_d * f

To get size in pixels just divide img_size by D80's pixel size. Moon's angular diameter is about 0.5 deg = 0.5*pi/180 rad.

That Stellarium image is just about right. I use 1200mm for both the moon and sun (with appropriate filters) and my Canon SLR and it's a nice fit, the disk sits nicely with some space around it, and you don't need to crop.

About like this, scaled for the web. This is white light, with a custom colour applied in processing.

IMG_4145.jpg

Thanks guys. I must get the ocular plugin for Stellarium! I need to wait a while for the moon to come round but I've just ordered some Baader Solar Film so I should be able to get some sun shots very soon :)

Thanks guys. I must get the ocular plugin for Stellarium! I need to wait a while for the moon to come round but I've just ordered some Baader Solar Film so I should be able to get some sun shots very soon :)

It comes with it by default ;) If for some reason you don't have it, you must have a very old version?

Thanks Steve that's helped a huge amount! Put my D80 details in and the Sun should fill almost all of the height of the shot with some spare room for flares etc. Rather excited now! Just starting to make my solar filter, can't believe I haven't got a compass to draw the circle! Trip down the all night Tesco I think :) I'd like to have it all ready for when the Solar Film arrives.

Oooo I love it when I get excited about stuff, I ought to know better now at 40 years old but I'm such a kid LOL

Archived