Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FINALLY - i took the plunge skyliner 250px

skywatcher250

Hi Skywatcher, thanks for that :)

My own thoughts were: does the extra cost, size and weight justify the difference in performance? I was leaning towards the 250 as it would be more practical and easier to transport to alternative viewing sites ( I have a PUG 207 3door) so I assume the 250 will fit better in my car?

but then, on the other hand........................ :D:)

Am I gonna regret not getting the 300 after a few weeks ;)?

I should also point out that I am upgrading from a 127 MAK so I assume I am in for a treat whichever I get!

I am curious as to what accessories you have got for your flextube? I was looking at the astrozap lightshroud but it seems a bit... :D steep for what it is! Also, what powertank have you got to go with it? These are minefield areas for me at the moment.

Sorry for hijacking thread BTW :)

Greg :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a fair difference in size from the 10" to the 12" Greg but I am so glad I went for the 12". I upgraded from an 8" dob and the difference in light gathering is very apparent. Globs and faint nebula are much brighter, galaxies pop all over the place and the planets show much more detail. A 10" would be a decent jump in aperture from your 5" Mak but my advise would be to go for the 12", you won't regret it.

This thread shows the difference in size an extra 4" of aperture adds. Although the smaller scope is an 8", the 10" is the same length.

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=171724

hi there from me ,great choice my mate as this scope and wow wee its great the goto is a bit hit and miss one thing we did find is the base as to be really level and your away ,its great for web cam in the moon and planets

cheers Pat

hey all (multiple replies haha)

pel, i know haha

damo, i hope so mate - lol i really do :)

todd - thanks mate that will really help me on the day actually - i may have to lad a plank of wood to help level it...

bumfluff (sounds funnier than greg ) in answer to your questions

1) yes indeed there is a size difference - im relying on the fact that i wont be sad that i didnt get the extra 2 inches because the 250 is apparantly the last of the easily manageable sized scopes - this alone may stop me from going out sometimes... so as everyone keeps saying to me - better to see slightly less then not go outside at all and see nothing haha

2) im upgrading from a 200 and i am in for a treat so u r in for a mega treat haha !

3) my accessories...

-Canon EOS (AF) - for my canon 7D,

-Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

-SkyTron Power Supply Cable for Skywatcher & Celestron Mounts

-http://www.maplin.co.uk/5-in-1-jump-starter-with-digital-air-compressor-388125 - for the power

-red torch

-hyperion baader eyepieces (you can add the camera to them to get the desired magnifications etc ) - im not buying these until the scope comes and its set up but i will 100% get these - i really like them - possible 2 or 3 of the different sizes

hope that helps ;)

cant WAIT to get it now !!!!!

Russell I did consider the 300 but it's not about the money for me it was about the extra size and portability etc. for me the extra hassle etc wasnt worth the extra money. I'm sure the views are even better through the 300 but for now i think I'd rather just a little lighter and more moveable haha
I've been on that same 'journey' myself. I had a 200p and HEQ5 Pro and having decided that imaging sucks up too much time, decided to go Dob. I suppose that having had a 200p, I decided that the 250px wasn't much bigger, so a 300p was in order. I guess having a 200p for a year desensitised me to size, but playing with a 400 made me realise there were sensible limits.

In my other (non professional) life, I'm involved in home cinema, etc. I get asked about TVs all the time and I continually point out to people that the large 42" TV they think is huge, will look completely normal in about 6 weeks, so buy the ridiculous 50". That will become normal too, but you'll have a bigger picture.

BTW; Loughton. According to my work mates, that's not real Essex because it's inside the M25 and therefore TOWIE. I watched it once. It scared me.

Yours, a Cambridge bloke working in Braintree*

Russell

*I like Braintree, it's just the people in it that worry me.

LOL....... yea i bet it is!! I am currently hovering over "buy now" on a 250 Flextube and astrozap light shroud!!

I`ve got a solid tube 250, couldn`t see the point of the flex, i think it`s heavier, more expensive and then you have to payout extra for the light shield (seems a bit of a rip off that, think i`d make one), the only advantage of the flex is storage height, unless there is a height limitation for storage cann`t much see the point the ground area taken up is the same, i can fit the solid tube in my citroen saxo.

Yup, ordered mine from FLO as well.... Also ordered a powertank, a cheshire eyepiece and a roll of black neoprene for my dew shield and light shroud.

Just need to make a levelling base ready for when it arrives!

Can't wait :)

Yup, ordered mine from FLO as well.... Also ordered a powertank, a cheshire eyepiece and a roll of black neoprene for my dew shield and light shroud.

Just need to make a levelling base ready for when it arrives!

Can't wait :)

dew shield and light shroud... oo do tell haha - whats that ??? how does it work and could i see a link haha

u don't get more essex than loughton matey haha - this is where towie is filmed (here and brentwood and chigwell) we have the pleasure of being acquainted with both the venues and some of the cast haha

:)

'Shut uup' (in girlie essex way):)

I`ve got a solid tube 250, couldn`t see the point of the flex, i think it`s heavier, more expensive and then you have to payout extra for the light shield (seems a bit of a rip off that, think i`d make one), the only advantage of the flex is storage height, unless there is a height limitation for storage cann`t much see the point the ground area taken up is the same, i can fit the solid tube in my citroen saxo.

+1 for the solid tube

:)

id love to change my name now... dont think i can though ?

I think you can if you contact one of the forum administrators. They are quite accomodating...:)

(PS: Interesting to read your thought processes on selecting a dobo. Mirrored mine when I was pondering what to buy about 6 months ago - great minds think alike :))

Hey grunthos, well the deciding factors were all down to the weight, bang for buck etc BUT if I spent any longer dithering over whether to get the celestron c8 or 9.25 and then weighing up camera stuff etc I simply wouldn't have ever done it

When Martin mentioned it would be a week rather thank 2 months I literally had no choice

At least the 250 whilst on an alt az can do short moon exposures :)

Archived