SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FINALLY - i took the plunge skyliner 250px

skywatcher250

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

way to go Skywatcher - might be a long week but it will be worth it - your going to have some great views-congratulations and clear skies- make sure you giive us a first light report - looking forward to it

clear skies

Stev

Waheey Essex seems to be the place to get the 250px haha. Where in Essex r u guys from - I'm loughton!

Thanks guys I decided that if I spent forever deciding then I'd never get out there I also decided to knock the astrophotography on the head this time round and just see what there is to see. I'll always have my canon and unless something mad happens the Messiers and other DSO will all be there so I can photo in the future sometime

Can't wait to get out there my first light report will hopefully be a good one. BUT I need to ask something first as I'm a bit new to GOTO etc

I dread the thought of missing out on the first few nights if I can't even learn how to align before then. Would rather learn theory now and put into practice then

I have ordered the power tank and relevant cables to sort the power side of things.I assume I need to give that a 40 hour charge then I can take it out ?

Can someone tell me in idiot language how to Align the scope easily as I hear the instructions aren't amazing so that my AZ ALT goto will work pls?

By the way. Whilst trawling through the millions of scopes available not many places showed how big they all are... So I will provide shots with it in 2 pieces and in full and next to me and in the car boot etc to give a proper report

Russell I did consider the 300 but it's not about the money for me it was about the extra size and portability etc. for me the extra hassle etc wasnt worth the extra money. I'm sure the views are even better through the 300 but for now i think I'd rather just a little lighter and more moveable haha

I'm in Harlow but I work over in Loughton :)

To set up, level the scope, point it north and set the alt to zero. Then turn it on, set the location coordinates, set the the time zone (+00:00 for uk), set the date (mm/dd/yyyy), set the time (24hr). Press yes for daylight savings

After that you can choose 2 star alignment. Find and centre a named star from the list and press enter. Select a second star from list and press enter, centre the star and press enter again. Then you should get a successfully aligned message and you can start to browse the objects to goto. Think I've remembered everything, hope it helps.

Kane

Waheey Essex seems to be the place to get the 250px haha. Where in Essex r u guys from - I'm loughton!

Thanks guys I decided that if I spent forever deciding then I'd never get out there I also decided to knock the astrophotography on the head this time round and just see what there is to see. I'll always have my canon and unless something mad happens the Messiers and other DSO will all be there so I can photo in the future sometime

Can't wait to get out there my first light report will hopefully be a good one. BUT I need to ask something first as I'm a bit new to GOTO etc

I dread the thought of missing out on the first few nights if I can't even learn how to align before then. Would rather learn theory now and put into practice then

I have ordered the power tank and relevant cables to sort the power side of things.I assume I need to give that a 40 hour charge then I can take it out ?

Can someone tell me in idiot language how to Align the scope easily as I hear the instructions aren't amazing so that my AZ ALT goto will work pls?

A village called Tolleshunt Major, just outside Maldon.

Hi all, I will be watching this thread with interest as I am still in the "dithering on which dob" phase at the moment. Torn between a 250 and 300 goto.

Looking forward to your pics and first light reports :)

hey bum fluff - great name by the way !!!

ok these 2 factors made the decision for me - i don't know if they make any difference to you or not but for me it made 100% my mind up so ill share

1) the weight and size - the base is that much bigger on the 300 and heavier, and the 250 is described as the last of the easily manageable in the range due to those 2 factors - if i had purchased the 300 i may very well have taken it out less than my 250 will be due to effort (not that I'm lazy - just theorising)

2) as told by 2 friends with experience - although the sky really begins to open up at 8" the heavens open truly for you at 10" and the clarity on familiar nebulae, planets etc is obvious, whilst a step up to a 300 is obviously going to be better the price alone is not in line with the performance upgrade and more things open up between 8 and 10 then they do between 10 and 12 - now I'm not saying its true or false as i don't know (yet) but logically if i can see something like 20000 (or even many many more) of the 42000 objects in the database and many more of them just a bit dimly id rather save the 400 pounds instead of seeing say 30000 etc etc if u see what i mean - the numbers are just guess work - maybe one can see all 42000 in both scopes with a little clarity difference - don't yet know

hard to explain but in my mind the gap between 8 and 10 is larger than 10 and 12 - or to put it another way - when I'm looking at saturn through a 250 i will be very much in awe (just as i would be with a 300) but it'll be the same awe, i may not appreciate the details being much better...

may very well not be true - but it reasoned with me enough to go with it haha !!!!!!

Archived