Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi, where to start

rainbow

Hi all. I have been interested in astronomy for a while and want to take it a bit further. Unfortunately I have no budget at the moment a I'm not working. I was wondering where should I begin with astronomy with no budget?

I'm guessing just learning the constellations or something...? But I would like to hear your ideas and any websites/books I might be able to borrow from the library...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi, welcome.

Lots of stuff on the net to research, Google anything. Also, the beginners section and discussions sections of this forum are invaluable for finding out peoples' opinions on certain setups for certain purposes (imaging, visual etc). Scan through all the posts. Download Stellarium (free) and start to learn the sky....go outside and look up too! Grab a cheap pair of s/h binos and go from there. Where are you based? You don't have to learn the sky, we have computers to do that, but learning is free and they are not!

Hi rainbow and welcome. :)

You have asked your question on one of the best places to learn about astronomy!!. SGL is full of knowledgeable, friendly people who are more than willing to help. Ask a question or just go through the various threads and you will pick it up quickly. I know that I have in the few weeks that I have been a member. :headbang:

Hello Rainbow and welcome to the SGL.

A binocular can be a cheap and useful tool to start with. You can go to the below site and print out monthly star charts - lots of naked eye, binocular and telescopic objects and where to look for them while learning the major constellations. Try for 10x50s - best overall mag. power and light gathering power while still easy to hold without too much 'shakey' views.

http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Hi Rainbow and welcome to SGL, you can start your Astronomy interests without spending much at all, if you do not have a lot of light pollution, then your own eyes will reveal a lot of the major Constellations once you have found out how to navigate your way around. Apart from stellarium, as already mentioned, a trip to your local library should help on the literature side, look out for books like Turn Left at Orion and the Backyard Astronomers Guide, Night Watch and I am sure there will be many others to be had. If in the meantime you can budget for a pair of reasonably priced binoculars, you will then be well on your way to a very good grounding in the subject, until such times as your personal circumstances improve and you can expand further into the hobby on the optical side :)

John.

Rainbow, if you would like to PM me your address I have a small book written by no other than Sir PM on the major Constellations, which will start you on your way, but you are welcome to it if you would like it.

John.

Hi and welcome to Sgl,can you join a club ? Local to you they some ties sve scopes that they lend out to members it's worth a shot failing that gvround he charity shops for some binoculars ,they give great wide field views

Cheers Pat

Hi and welcome to the forum. There is plenty of free stuff to be had off the internet and your local astro club can provide you with some experience at the eyepiece through their observation evenings and as said above, some even lend out gear too.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Hi and welcome - i'm new here myself and SGL is the place to be. Lots of help here from friendly people.

There is a wealth of info on this site alone not to mention some fantastic photos/guides etc. If you want more Google & Youtube are also good and for more awe-inspiring stuff try http://science.nasa.gov/ or http://hubblesite.org/gallery/ just remember even with a telescope what you see will not resemble those fantastic views !

Archived