Sun projection from 15th may 2012 Cliff's Astronomy.

Here is projection of sun through me big binoculars

on white sheet paper.

I mite make shade better for binoculars projection.

IMG1113A.jpg

Bit image filtering can see sun spots used super webcam virtual driver for filtering effects.

sun%20spots.jpg

Soon i will be doing some solar imaging with beader solar filter and cam sensor imaging testing various cams.

Wow thats a really nice capture there of the sun through bino's. I have heard of projection but never seen it done, or know how to do it. I imagine its like bringing the sun/object to focus onto a bit of card, almost how kids burn ants with sunlight and magnifying glass, but that is only a guess. Can you project images like those with a telescope? Or a finderscope?

Nice job with the bino's though,

Cheers

Jay

I didnt know when projecting sun had to use focuser on binoculars

i moved focuser little bit and was amazed showed sun spots on paper

i used me massive 70mm binoculars on tripod kept it stable and move projection onto dark area shade bit for better viewing

and just used me mobile phone to take the image of paper

you can do same with telescope project image onto white paper.

here is site how to do it with binoculars

se_binoc2.gif

http://spaceweather.com/sunspots/doityourself.html

try with any size binoculars

ideal for quick viewing of sun.

Point a telescope or binoculars at the Sun. Do not attempt to view the Sun directly through the telescope or the binoculars! In the case of a telescope, make sure that any small finder telescope is capped, and keep the cover on one half of the binoculars. The easiest way to find the Sun is tilt your instrument to get the smallest shadow.

Hold a piece of white card about 15 cm behind the eyepiece to act as a screen on which you can catch the image. You should see a bright circle of light, probably blurred, on the screen. Focus the instrument until the circle is sharp. This is the disc of the Sun itself. If the eclipse is in progress you should see the Moon as a dark bite out of one edge.

Experiment with moving the card farther closer and further away. What effect does the distance from the card have on the image?

Try mounting the binoculars or telescope firmly on a tripod. The advantage of this type of projection is that several people can see the image at once.

Cool, sounds really easy and fun, will try with old finderscope or something similar - not sure i wanna start putting sunlight through new telescope if i dont know how to do it properly. But will deffo check the link out thanks, Cliff, never seen the sun with equipment, only through eclipse glasses when it happened years ago. Thinking about buying solar filter baader style, transit of venus with webcam - definitely worth a try. Its why your xcam mod is so great for these things, if something goes wrong you dont lose hundreds of pounds worth of astro-imaging kit.

Cheers mate,

Jay.

Cool, sounds really easy and fun, will try with old finderscope or something similar - not sure i wanna start putting sunlight through new telescope if i dont know how to do it properly. But will deffo check the link out thanks, Cliff, never seen the sun with equipment, only through eclipse glasses when it happened years ago. Thinking about buying solar filter baader style, transit of venus with webcam - definitely worth a try. Its why your xcam mod is so great for these things, if something goes wrong you dont lose hundreds of pounds worth of astro-imaging kit.

Cheers mate,

Jay.

True cheap like these cams i seem to mod

Have me modded xbox as skycam also modded xbox with telescope tube to it ready for telescope

also modded ps3 cam , also modded wii cam ready as webcam or as imager through telescope and me travelar mini dv mpeg video recorder cam modded.

will put them on test soon as it's clear sky test which cam works best with sun through baarder filter on end of telescope.

i rekon xbox cam exposure level setting maybe best

worth checking local stores for any more xbox cams before they go absolete like consoles.

im checking today when go to the game later on in bit

see if they got any xbox cams also ps2 cams not bad better than the ps3 exposure level the ps2 cam seem to work better in dark.

Archived