Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi From Wimbeldon.

Hugechris

Hi,

new to astronomy but not to science, just purchased my first telescope (Celestron 6SE) and finally after the weeks of rain, set up everything to get (despite the London light pollution) a great view of Saturn on the weekend, and some solar observing during the day.

Keen to meet other local astronomers in SW London / Surrey and to find some nearby viewing sites that are not lit up like an Xmas tree and to start some astrophotography.

Chris

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. If astrophotography is where you heading, you may want to take a look at Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which will tell you what kit you will need and why you need it to take good consistent images. A modestly priced book that might well save you money by helping you avoid buying the wrong kit. Imaging involves a steep learning at the beginning but with this book you will soon understand all that you need to know in order to ensure that your imaging will be more about fun and less about frustration.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum.

Not far from you, in sunny Sutton.:headbang:

Feel free to join us in the "Surrey Observers" we meet up near Dorking most clear nights. Also go further affield to nice dark sites when sky conditions permit.

You can find us in the social groups blue band on the main index page.:)

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. If astrophotography is where you heading, you may want to take a look at Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count"(FLO £19.95) which will tell you what kit you will need and why you need it to take good consistent images. A modestly priced book that might well save you money by helping you avoid buying the wrong kit. Imaging involves a steep learning at the beginning but with this book you will soon understand all that you need to know in order to ensure that your imaging will be more about fun and less about frustration.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Thanks to all for the welcome, thanks James for pointing me to the book will take a look.I am thinking I would have more success with solar/planetary/lunar photography from the back garden with an entry level webcam / CCD and some image processing & stacking. Hopefully if time permits I can travel away from the polluted skys and get stuck into using a DSLR.

I have plenty of questions on good filters to get the most out of the London sky for both deep sky and solar system viewing & photography that will post in the months to come.

Chris

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum.

Not far from you, in sunny Sutton.;)

Feel free to join us in the "Surrey Observers" we meet up near Dorking most clear nights. Also go further affield to nice dark sites when sky conditions permit.

You can find us in the social groups blue band on the main index page.:)

Thanks for the invitation, I look forward to some great seeing, will keep an eye on the social group.

C

Archived