SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Transit of Venus 6th June

Matthew

On the 6th of June Venus will cross the face of the sun,i was just wondering if anyone else was planning to observe/image this.Fortunately ive got that week off work and was considering heading up blaenavon,this event will not occur again in our lifetime so it should be a special afternoon if the weather plays ball.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or you could watch it online here:-

http://www.ccssc.org/transit2012.html

I'm also going to try and view the transit, from somewhere on the east coast of Scotland. :D

Thanks MJ, I've bookmarked your link on my smart phone just in case the weather doesn't play ball... Although I'm sure we will all get amazingly clear skies! :);)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Thought I would share this one about the ToV, Bradford Robotic Telescope is looking for help collecting data aimed at defining the size of the solar system

Apparently this was first done by Capt Cook and others in 1769

Obviously the weather on the day will be the main issues and just how much we will be able to see, in any event the following link is interesting

http://transit.telescope.org/index.php

i'll probably head towards lavernock point (it's local to me) and should just about allow a view to the NE. newport does lie on the bearing, but being about 12 miles away should hopefully not impinge on the view of the horizon too much.

blaenavon does look a good prospect though.

shame there's no pedestrian access to the 2nd severn crossing. pretty sure that'd be a good place to view from ;-)

On the 6th of June Venus will cross the face of the sun,i was just wondering if anyone else was planning to observe/image this.Fortunately ive got that week off work and was considering heading up blaenavon,this event will not occur again in our lifetime so it should be a special afternoon if the weather plays ball.

hi all!! will be up on blorange with abergavenny as should be a few telescopes there and astronomers:hello2: we meet at waitrose in aber bout 4 ish will get exact times and venue details( up by keepers pond) high eleavation should gain extra couple minutes transit veiwing, getting a tripod made for the gemini 42 mount so will like to attend sum of your observing sessions will bring the 10" mak cass:eek: reagrsds stuy

hi all!! will be up on blorange with abergavenny as should be a few telescopes there and astronomers:hello2: we meet at waitrose in aber bout 4 ish will get exact times and venue details( up by keepers pond) high eleavation should gain extra couple minutes transit veiwing, getting a tripod made for the gemini 42 mount so will like to attend sum of your observing sessions will bring the 10" mak cass:eek: reagrsds stuy

That would be great stuy i may well join you up the blorange,,,im looking to get another pst so i will be using that,i look forward to having a look through the mak cass :(:D

My town is surrounded by hills, surely one must have a view of the transit!

Also, we know that the transit of venus starts (in the uk) at 5am but what time will it end?

sky safari shows me that when the sun first peeps over the horizon it's about 0504, 3rd contact is about 0537 (alt 4 deg) & 4th contact is about 0555 (alt 6.5 deg).

my intention, cloud permitting, is to use the PST as, with longer exposures, this will allow photographing venus after it has completed the transit across the sun's disc.

sky safari shows me that when the sun first peeps over the horizon it's about 0504, 3rd contact is about 0537 (alt 4 deg) & 4th contact is about 0555 (alt 6.5 deg).

my intention, cloud permitting, is to use the PST as, with longer exposures, this will allow photographing venus after it has completed the transit across the sun's disc.

You won't see Venus after it has passed the solar disk using a PST. You would struggle to see it using any normal photographic technique.

when i use longer exposures through the pst, say for capturing faint prominences, there is significant red glow from, presumably, the corona. my intention was to capture the transit of venus across this as well. of course, that assumes that the red glow IS the corona and not just reflections within the optics ;-)

when i use longer exposures through the pst, say for capturing faint prominences, there is significant red glow from, presumably, the corona. my intention was to capture the transit of venus across this as well. of course, that assumes that the red glow IS the corona and not just reflections within the optics ;-)

I think you should be able to photograph Venus until last contact when you get the red orb around it, beyond that I'd surprised if there was anything

i'd be surprised if there's no cloud that morning kev!

i know with white light, 4th contact is the end of sports, but figured venus would still block the Ha corona for a good 30 mins or more after 4th contact. hopefully i'll get to find out :(

we may even be very very lucky and have a mega-prominence just in the right place and be able to capture venus transiting that too. i'd settle for no clouds though.

i'd be surprised if there's no cloud that morning kev!

i know with white light, 4th contact is the end of sports, but figured venus would still block the Ha corona for a good 30 mins or more after 4th contact. hopefully i'll get to find out :(

we may even be very very lucky and have a mega-prominence just in the right place and be able to capture venus transiting that too. i'd settle for no clouds though.

I think we should pray for cloud. A bit of reverse psychobabble never hurts

Martin Griffiths is leading a group from Uni of Glamorgan going up to the Bwlch between Treorchy and Nant-y-Moel http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=293959&y=194601&z=120&sv=293959,194601&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=714&ax=293959&ay=194601&lm=0

We'll have a number of telescopes (white light and Ha) available, so should be good fun. He says sunrises as 4:57. We'll be there a bit before that setting up. It'll be over by 6am so time for everyone to get back for work/school!

Helen

Archived