First attempt at Solar imaging

ggreene1

Here are a couple pictures from my first attempt at Solar imaging. Trying to prepare for the transit of Venus in June. Also there will be a partial Solar eclipse here in the US this Sunday. I'll be sure to post a link to some pictures. Here is the link to my first images using my Baader filter that I just built. These were taken with my Canon EOS 40D, my 8" Celestron SCT and my Baader solar filter.

Not too bad for a first attempt.

http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=3041#top_display_media

I have another question that maybe someone can answer. I would like to use my camera, but get a smaller image when viewing the Sun. Is this possible ? I have a Canon EOS 40D camera, an 8" Celestron SCT. I'm using a Canon T-ring and an

1 1/4" Barlow T adaptor (that's what the box says) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike, does it still allow the camera to focus correctly (apparently it does judging by your image) I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new part. Trying not to spend too much money. Does it thread directly to the OTA and to the T-Ring that clips onto the camera body ??? Thanks for the help.

The Celestron focal reducer screws directly onto the back of the scope. The visual back then screws onto the focal reducer - then diagonal and eyepiece (or camera T-ring) as normal. You will have to check exactly which reducer you need for your scope and image size you want. They are also useful for reducing magnification and increasing the field of view when looking at many of the deep sky objects visually. Here is a link to the Celestron focal reducer ... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/celestron-f63-focal-reducer.html

There are other makes and sizes. I have not had any problem with focus using a variety of reducers and cameras.

Thanks Mike,

I actually purchased one yesterday for $115 from a company called Adorama here in the US. They offer free shipping on almost everything. The one you linked is the one I bought. I figured since the Venus transit doesn't happen everyday and I really want some good pictures of it, I would buy it. Thanks for your input.

Archived