Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 - Now with colour

Uranium235

Last night stayed clear just long enough to grab some RGB to add to the luminence data I took last weekend. To colour this one in doesnt take much effort so I shortened the exposure time down to 3 minutes so I could get something stackable in short space of time.

I think ive got the colours right, I wasnt sure whether the stars should be gold(ish) or whether they should lean more towards orange since they are supposed to be quite old stars. Managed to keep the propellor too, except I feel its a little harder to spot since your eyes are now drawn towards the colour.

Anyway this is what I settled on:

M13: Great cluster in Hercules

18x240(L), 7x180(R,G,:headbang: - no LP filter used

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, CG5-GT

Setpoint: -10

Calibration: None

Guiding: Good

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=86986&stc=1&d=1337101965

post-18171-133877774851_thumb.jpg

Looks real good, the colour is nicely done and the propeller is clearly visible.

Did you use any particular process for the stars?

Nothing special, the RGB channels were just a ratio of 1:1:1. The only additional things I did were to combine the RGB channels using noels actions, before using the same actions to boost the star colour before pushing it a bit further with some iterative saturation. I did that becuase there is always a danger of the colour getting washed out when its combined with the luminence channel.

Impressive Rob, did you bin the RGB ?

Cheers Simon :)

Nope, no binning on this. There is no need to when the colour subs are only 3 minutes long (I think globs are ones of the few targets where you can get away with it). It may have caused a few problems with the core had I binned it.

Although binning speeds things up, I always seem to suffer from random colour blobs (either red or blue) after resizing, and I end up having to go around with a clone brush in order to get rid of em. I did this on M51 at the weekend but Ive been in two minds whether to post it or not :headbang:

Good question, I'm not quite sure but Its probably something that can be sorted out with a few flats because during processing I had to remove a slight gradient with noels actions. Ive been suffering from a few security light issues recently, which doesnt help when im using no LP filter.

Ive been eyeing up that can of black spray paint in the utility room, but I must resisit the temptation to "banksy" someones lights :)

Thanks Andy, Olly and Lewis ;)

Actually, ive been pondering today about how these clusters form :) after a bit of research I found some believe they are the remains of dwarf galaxies that have been stripped by the MW, while other evidence suggest the stars formed in areas where the interstellar medium is denser (but where has all the dust/gas gone then?). Quite an interesting topic, but still poorly understood from what I read.

Archived