SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just another refractor .......

John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some further stuff on John Pons scopes - in this Cloudynights thread he is building a 9" F/18:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/514124/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

The photo of the 9" and the 10" side by side on their wooden racks shows the scale of these instruments :)

The photos in that thread are just astonishing. Amazing pieces of work.

James

Must need a mobile crane to set it up!

Just in time for the clouds to roll in!

:)

:headbang:. What a naughty thought CW. Anyway, perhaps their weather Experts are a bit more accurate with their predictions.:)

Ron.

I have the greatest admiration for the guy.

He obviously loves his work very much, and the quality of the scopes will reflect that fact.

I just wonder what our Daz. is doing in picture number 5 in the sequence John :).

Ron.

Oh wow I want one of those!!!! The wife would probably kill me, but to be honest the scope maybe enough to make me want to leave my wife! Lol really hope she don't see this now

Thanks for the pictures John. Stood next to that scope he looks like he is participating as a human cannon ball! :) Very impressive but would like to know his technique for getting it mounted. Would be a little depressing setting that lot up and the the clouds come in!:headbang::D

James

Thanks for the pictures John. Stood next to that scope he looks like he is participating as a human cannon ball! :headbang: Very impressive but would like to know his technique for getting it mounted. Would be a little depressing setting that lot up and the the clouds come in!:):D

James

Yes, I'd like to know how quickly a scope of that scale can be setup and torn down. In the UK we sometimes need to move quite quickly due to our variable weather :)

I'd always associated scopes of that size with observatories rather than being wheeled out onto peoples driveways.

The rather boring and practical reality is of course that something like a £1.5K 12" F/6.3 1/10th wave PV Orion Optics dobsonian in good collimation would probably provide fairly similar performance much of the time and is far more practical in terms of day to day ownership :)

It's nice to see "exotica" and workmanship like John Pons creations though ;)

Archived