SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just another refractor .......

John

The chap in the picture is a bit of a legend in the USA. His name is John Pons and he makes large achromat refractors. This one is his own and houses a Zeiss 10" F/15 objective lens. I reckon you would get quite a queue to view through this at a star party :)

post-12764-13387777476_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving the casters on the bottom, where on earth does he 'roll' that out from......a warehouse just out of shot?:headbang:

Either that or he has one monster of a living room.:)

I think the queue probably starts at the star party and goes back to his house. As that ain't going nowhere in a hurry.:)

I hope it has some motors to move it, you'd struggle to reach the slow motion controls while at the eyepiece :) unless that's the slow motion control he's holding ?

Just imagine trying to catch it if it slipped out of the tube rings.

At long last, evidence that Lilliput is a real place!!!:headbang:

Seriously:eek:, Ive stood the line with smaller artillery pieces!!!

Would love to see the pulley system he installed to mount it!:)

Chris:icon_salut:

Reading that he made his own, I thought perhaps that included the Optics, but he obviously bought the Zeiss Lens and cell for this particular giant. Perhaps he makes lenses too, just not in this case.

He likely machined, and fabricated most of the hardware for this monster refractor. I can only Imagine the lunar and planetary views this beast will offer up under steady seeing :).

Ron.

How much do you have to pay for a 10" Zeiss lens, I wonder?

James

Maybe less than you might think. A guy in my Derbyshire astrosoc about 12 years ago paid just over a grand for a 6 inch F15 Zeiss, from memory. For a bit more he ended up hauling the entire coude focus behemoth down from Scotland and with help from Rod Tippet they installed it in a farm building. It was a complete instrument with lovely EP turret etc but the building had to be designed for it because with that design the observatory has to be underneath the scope.

Olly

I'm surprised he hasn't had F22's dropping smart bombs on his house because they thought it was a SAM launcher.. it is America after all.

They probably did. And took out an entire block three streets away :)

James

Archived