refractor rejected ?

rory

well a nice chap , came ,checked it over and was pleased with it. so well looked after he, in the end decided on taking the mount and tripod as well as the ota. for his young nephew ( in an attempt to keep his sticky hands off his own equipment)

as for the collimation issue, all i can say is ,im a beginner with only 14-15 months experience, with no contact with other astronomers yet outside the forums.

but ive not had any problems seeing objects youd expect to see with a scope of this size and budget .

now its gone and sold i'll mention price as theres no hint of promoting a sale on the forum. i had agreed to £50 for the ota, mount and tripod.

so to ask for a " sustantial price drop" is a little bit of a cheek.

anyways,no matter now . hope this other chap's nephew enjoys his new scope as much as ive enjoyed it .

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the "young lad" will get endless pleasure out of (what is now!) a "Fifty Quid scope"? The Astronomy buying-selling market is a STRANGE one? Ironic really - I'd love to sell some good stuff (not an advertisement!), but dread the "Astro Police" the: "Gimme a few quid off, 'cos I'm a 'brother' astronomer" stuff. Iniquities aside, if only we could recover a little trust... :)

Congratulations on the sale of the scope Rory but if I might say, what if the collimation was out ? Were you able to do a star test before selling the scope ? This may be of interest http://forum.popastro.com/viewtopic.php?t=8393&highlight=collimating. I just find it odd that the first guy made a 40 minute (80 min round trip) journey yet still felt the collimation was far enough out to waste his time and petrol even though the scope was only £50 :) Just my 2p worth.

Archived