Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-101 Tulip + Cygnus X-1 (HDE226868)

Uranium235

I love it when Cygnus comes around, there is just so much going on in there, its probably my favorite constellation (yes, better than Orion I reckon!).

This was my first crack at the Tulip, so I went with my stock sub length of 450s, which seems to have done the trick. For the Cygnus X-1 black hole, it was just a simple case of locating it's supergiant companion star HDE226868 - which is in the process of being ripped apart by its less than benevolent neighbour. I located it by cross-referencing with other captures, including those from the ESA.

The next step for this one will be to add OIII, and finally some SII for hubble colour. But the Veil is starting to rise again now, so that is a very tempting target... must resist!

Anyways, enough jibba jabba... here it is:

Sh2-101 (Tulip Nebula) + Companion star to Cygnus X-1 black hole:

24x450 (Ha)

ED80 (0.85), Atik 314L+, CG5-GT

Setpoint temp: -10

Calibration: none

Guiding: Excellent

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=86860&stc=1&d=1336911602

post-18171-133877773708_thumb.jpg

yes but its fun to have a go at them late at night. I want to have a go at the veil nebula later on have you got any old shots of that with your ed80 for reference?

Only from the Atik (and in narrowband), the Veil is a real giver for a CCD :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=61188&d=1308385602

lol show a rubbish pic of the veil why dont you!!!!!!!!!! lol

Really nice Tulip there, its probably not so coincidental you compare it to Orion and they look pretty similar in structure. Great to have the background info on Cygnus X-1 too :)

lol show a rubbish pic of the veil why dont you!!!!!!!!!! lol

Really nice Tulip there, its probably not so coincidental you compare it to Orion and they look pretty similar in structure. Great to have the background info on Cygnus X-1 too :)

Cheers! :headbang:

Ive got plans for that 2011 Veil data :) I have both sides of the remnant and it would be nice to get pickerings triangle so I can join them up, but that would be one hell of a mosaic! But while im there I might give it the beans and double up on the witches broom, I thought about hubble colour but I prefer the red and electric blue of Ha/OIII/OIII.

Seeing images likes this makes me itch to start saving for an ATIK 314L+ and filters.

I'm really happy with what I can get from my modded camera, but seeing a CCD and filters put to good use like this makes me start wondering if I really need 2 kidneys...

Lovely images

WOW!!! That Veil is absolutely wonderful - quite fantastic, I think it's the loveliest image I've ever seen. Maybe in a year or two I may be able to save up enough for the Atik 314L+ and all the NB filters etc. Fun playing with the modded 1100D though :)

Cheers! :)

Ive got plans for that 2011 Veil data :headbang: I have both sides of the remnant and it would be nice to get pickerings triangle so I can join them up, but that would be one hell of a mosaic! But while im there I might give it the beans and double up on the witches broom, I thought about hubble colour but I prefer the red and electric blue of Ha/OIII/OIII.

9 panels, of about 10 subs @ 20 mins each - ED80 + QHY9 mono

Veil_Comp_web.jpg

Martin, thanks for the pointer on how to get the whole of the veil remnant. :)

I reckon it would be a lot more panels with the 314, possibly 16 - which at this time of year would take an eternity! Maybe I will scale down my ambitions to just get the broom and pickerings triangle, I reckon I could do that in about 6 or 8 panels depending on how much overlap I leave on each panel (needs about 25% to be comfortable).

WOW!!! That Veil is absolutely wonderful - quite fantastic, I think it's the loveliest image I've ever seen. Maybe in a year or two I may be able to save up enough for the Atik 314L+ and all the NB filters etc. Fun playing with the modded 1100D though :)

Thanks Gina, Im surprised that you havent seen this one before. It was on the SGL 2011/2012 calendar and made POW (its also in the 2011 imaging showcase with a few other bits and bobs). Its also in the Atik imaging competition - which I dont stand much chance of winning since the standard of entries is quite high this year.

This year Im going to add a lot more data so I can lay off with the noise reduction when trying to get the outer wisps of Ha, and improve the stars so they dont look so processed. I'd like to try out one or two processing tricks I learnt since (high pass filters and a dose of noels actions) :headbang:

Always a good idea to keep your previous years data!

Have a go at pointing your 1000d at this, I think you would be rather pleased with what you will get. Except instead of Red/Blue, it will come out as Red/Green(ish).

Rob

Thanks Gina, Im surprised that you havent seen this one before. It was on the SGL 2011/2012 calendar and made POW (its also in the 2011 imaging showcase with a few other bits and bobs). Its also in the Atik imaging competition - which I dont stand much chance of winning since the standard of entries is quite high this year.
I might have seen it before - not sure - whatever, it's beautiful :)
This year Im going to add a lot more data so I can lay off with the noise reduction when trying to get the outer wisps of Ha, and improve the stars so they dont look so processed. I'd like to try out one or two processing tricks I learnt since (high pass filters and a dose of noels actions) :headbang:
Sound good - I'll look forward to seeing your results. Not that I can see anything wrong with your present image :)
Always a good idea to keep your previous years data!
Oh yes ;)
Have a go at pointing your 1000d at this, I think you would be rather pleased with what you will get. Except instead of Red/Blue, it will come out as Red/Green(ish).
I'll do that sometime - it's on my list :) Thank you :(

Archived