SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First M101

Gina

Looks like it's sorting out my camera :) But when that's done I think I'd like a bit more data on M101. The Bubble is certainly interesting but oh yes, the Triffid looks amazing. Now if only I can tune my kit for long exposures... Need to do another, more accurate, drift alignment and see if PHD will hold on longer. I have a powered USB hub to try too.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been playing with PS. Took an Autosave loaded into DSS and saved in 16 bit TIFF. Opened that in PS and had a play with the things I'm used to - curves, colour properties, sharpen, noise reduction... Here's what I've go so far - it's much better than I could do with GIMP :)

Hmm... looks like a clear sky tonight and no camera :) <many swear words> Well other than webcams and QHY5. I guess I could play with the QHY5 on my main scope (ED80). I guess I do a drift alignment with the QHY5. I'll have to see how I feel. Having spent a lot of time today trying to sort out my 1100D with less than no success, I might just have an early night!

I think I shall be concentrating on reprocessing the data I've already got in the short term. I took the plunge and ordered the Morgan HP Elite 7100 desktop, stretching my funds to breaking point! :) I'm glad I did as they are now all gone and the new batch of computers are more expensive for a lower spec - they have nothing to compete with the one I've ordered.

I'm by no means confident I can get my 1100D working as I think it likely that both main boards are now faulty. With neither shutter nor mirror responding to the exposure setting and both connected directly to the main board, it seems logical that the problem is with the main board (though I could be wrong).

Black clouds are gathering, the wind has dropped and it feels very heavy, humidity hais increased considerably - I think we may well have a thunderstorm tonight. So much for a decent run of clear skies! Oh well, I haven't got a DSLR working ATM.

Try turning down the definition in dss I had same prob black holes in centre
I shall be taking the image as stacked without changing the sliders and saving as 16bit TIFF to then open in PS and do all the histogram stretching, levels and curves in PS.

Received my HP Elite W7 machine this afternoon and now setting it up. Intel i5 2.6GHz processor, 4GB RAM and 500GB HD inside :) I'll probably take the 500GB SATA drive that's currently in my XP desktop and which contains all my astro images, and put that in the new machine. Save me transferring the files over.

Not quite new as such but new to me and looks like new apart from a few scratches on the front. But it's not what it looks like, it's how it works :( And it works very well :) DSS zips through the subs, and stacking that used to take several hours is done in 15 minutes or so :) And it allows me to use PS sensibly too, which in turn allows me to process my astro images in 16 bit which makes all the difference.

I'll reprocess my M101 data shortly :evil6: I think I have matching darks to go with the lights for that. The flats were useless though so I'll have to manage without flats until I can do some more AP. ATM I'm still sorting out all my subs.

Archived