Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First M101

Gina

All trail and error most of the time we will get it sorted, stacking and processing all good fun. Went out this evening and just did some observing for change had a lovely view of Saturn and M13 forgot how lovely they are to just stand there and look at them through an eyepiece.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a sub from tonight slightly stretched in GIMP and scaled for here. I'm running at -8C and getting a bit of condensation in parts of the frame but the M101 area seems clear. 2m at ISO3200.

post-25795-13387777397_thumb.jpg

Think maybe ISO 3200 may be pushing it even at -8C. Giving 4m at ISO 1600 a try. Incidentally I'm getting -19C at the cold finger where it goes into the camera. ie. 11C lost in the cold finger.

Could be like you say, if M101 has a small window width (small dymanic range) it makes sense that any data thats clipped would have a greater effect than clipping an image with a large dynamic range, if you get what I'm trying to say:D

here is my m101 done with the evostar ed80 and focal reducer this is the final stacked image .tiff so this would then be taking into ps to finish off and gave me this result. Mybe should go do this one again and try to boost the colours a bit any way heres the .tiff for you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75039043/M101%20evostar%20master%20image.TIF

M101%2520evostar%2520master%2520image%2520copy_filtered.jpg

WOW!! That's got some detail in it :) What ISO and exposures did you use and how many subs? Do you think I'd be better off taking a few longer subs at lower ISO than more, shorter at higher ISO?

I cant remember off hand i think it was about 80 shots at an iso of 1600 and they were about 80 second long each. I stacked them with about 60 darks flats and bias shots that I had done the week before. In fact I often take a load of darks and flats and just use them again and again. From what I can see your getting the same amount of detail in you subs so I dont think theres much in it other then stacking and processing and noise levels but with your mega cooler that should be easy to get rid of.

I will send you the .tiff link for the m101 I did with my sky watcher 200p so you can compare.

That's very nice Mark :)

Plenty of clouds about tonight with clear bits but I don't think the clear bits amount to enough to do an imaging run. I'm too tired really too - been a heavy day! :)

I've run last nights subs through DSS and I think it's better. 30 subs after I'd rejected a few. DSS rejected a few more leaving 27 to stack. I took the subs at around -9C to -10C and the noise seems a fair bit less :headbang: But the histogram is very narrow - not much contrast in the galaxy, made even worse by converting to 8 bit data depth before stretching in GIMP. The resultant image had just 5 brightness levels!

I'll upload the TIFF file tomorrow and probably post the JPEG. I think I'll upload the unmodified TIFF from stacking and you and/or others can load it into DSS of whatever to play with. I've only had a couple of attempts to get a reasonable result out of fiddling with the sliders post-stacking.

I tried to get some better flats but still getting the gradient. That was using a cloudy sky and opal Perspex diffuser. May not get any joy until I make up a proper light box.

Things have not gone very well today and now I'm off to bed!

Know how you feel Gina imaging tires you out and gets very addictive as well but your doing really well and the old saying holds true no pain no gain. Look forward to seeing the new .tiff and having a go. :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

TIFFs now uploading to dropbox. The direct result of stacking is M101_Autosave001.TIF the other is the sliders applied to the image.

JPEG here :-

M101_2012-05-12-various.jpg

After Noon Gina.

Downloaded your 001.tiff and put it in deep sky stacker again to pull the rgb channels in line and boosted the lumince slider by 20 percent. I then put in ps and adjusted the levels then curves. After that it was onto sorting out the details with hide all layers and adding extra luminance layers followed by more tweaking and finally came up with this one. Hope you like it and as you can see there is a lot of data in there that came out. have aslo posted the link to the full .tiff file adjusted so you can have it for your collection.

:)

Ginas%2520m101%2520image.jpg

here is the link to the above .tiff file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75039043/Ginas%20m101%20image.TIF

Hi Gina,

I had a go with the stacked image and really struggled. I had to reeeeeally stretch it to get any image in the first instance in DSS and then export as a tif. I then loaded in Nebulocity and dis some more stretching before exporting as a 16bit png and then doing a bit of contrast in Gimp 2.8.

I've succeeded in bringing out the galaxy but at the expense of the colour and increasing the noise.

Thanks for posting your image data, I've been getting out of practice with combination of the bad weather and work keeping me from my scope.

Cheers John

post-24829-133877774789_thumb.png

After Noon Gina.

Downloaded your 001.tiff and put it in deep sky stacker again to pull the rgb channels in line and boosted the lumince slider by 20 percent. I then put in ps and adjusted the levels then curves. After that it was onto sorting out the details with hide all layers and adding extra luminance layers followed by more tweaking and finally came up with this one. Hope you like it and as you can see there is a lot of data in there that came out. have aslo posted the link to the full .tiff file adjusted so you can have it for your collection.

:)

Ginas%2520m101%2520image.jpg

here is the link to the above .tiff file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75039043/Ginas%20m101%20image.TIF

Thanks very much Mark :headbang: You've certainly teased a lot of detail out - brilliant :) And thanks for the link - downloading now ;)

Hi Gina,

I had a go with the stacked image and really struggled. I had to reeeeeally stretch it to get any image in the first instance in DSS and then export as a tif. I then loaded in Nebulocity and dis some more stretching before exporting as a 16bit png and then doing a bit of contrast in Gimp 2.8.

I've succeeded in bringing out the galaxy but at the expense of the colour and increasing the noise.

Thanks for posting your image data, I've been getting out of practice with combination of the bad weather and work keeping me from my scope.

Cheers John

Well you did better than me :) But Mark really has this processing business tamed :headbang:

Archived