Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Random adventures with a C11

Dunkster

First light for my C11+EQ6 combination, and while I'd practiced inside, this was my first real setup outside! For those purists of you out there, this was predominantly goto driven with some hunting required because of a rough polar alignment :clouds2:

Starting off with a 1-star alignment on Vega, my first stop was M57… revisiting one of my favourites from last year (when I'd first seen it with my Mak), but providing an opportunity to put the larger aperture and Nagler to good use! At 140x, the smoke ring was decently sized and there seemed like some texture to the ring itself (that couldn't been seen in my Mak last year!) Next time around I'll have to remember to try it at a higher magnification.

I then moved on to some classic clusters … M92 and M13, both superb, with beautiful speckles almost all the way to the centre in the C11, with a small fuzzy patch in the centre. I had seen M13 late last summer but all of it was a fuzzy patch in the 127. Following on from my views last week with the 6SE (ES82 14mm), goto pointed me in the region of M3. The combination of my rough polar and synscan 1-star alignment meant I had to do a little hunting :rolleyes: Likewise for M5. Unsurprisingly, both of these were very detailed compared to the 6SE.

Following a quick hot chocolate break, I headed for Saturn with the 14mm… more than 1 band(?) on the planet were apparent almost immediately, but the rings weren't giving up their division too easily! Lacking the (apparently) better seeing I had with the 6SE recently, I didn't spend too much on the ringed planet, although I did note the positions of what I suspected to be moons… Rhea a couple of ring diameters out on the right, with Tethys and Dione closer in on the left. Titan is unmissable of course, as bright as it is, but I also noticed a fainter dot a little further out but still in the FOV of the ES82. Out came Sky Safari and it looked in the right place for Iapetus, which I hadn't clocked with the 6.

Next, I wanted to see if I could score any galaxies. Given the relatively bad light pollution here - I can barely making out the main asterism of Ursa Minor with the naked eye - my hopes were not very high. I picked Mizar for a refreshed 1-star align - which in itself was a delight I hadn't seen before. With Mizar centred in the Nagler, Alcor was off towards the field stop, but the real delight was Mizar's closer companion at about the same angle from 12 o'clock, but on the other side (apologies for my lacking vocabulary!)

First galactic attempt this year… M101… by matching the pattern of stars I could see with Sky Safari, I was convinced I was in the right part of the sky, but I couldn't make out anything after staring for a few minutes, besides a distinct absence of anything for a good chunk of the view! Not deterred, I requested M51. As the scope slewed, I saw something fly past, so a quick bit of hunting put M51 and its companion in view… while I couldn't make out any real detail, I could see brighter spots where the cores should be and a very faint smudge marking out the bigger galaxy, and ever so slightly brighter outline of the companion.

Spurred by M51, I headed for M81 and M82 but failed to see anything. I'm still scratching my head with these, but at the next opportunity I'll do a proper 3 star alignment and see if I just plain missed them.

For one last flirtation with clusters, I slewed over to 1-star align with Vega again. With Vega so bright, I can't see how I could get it wrong, but my first target was Albireo but I think my fatigue had got the better of me. Last September I had easily enjoyed the beautiful split pair with my Mak.

I requested M92 again but the mount decided it was time for me to lay down :headbang: I politely declined and headed for a couple of lovely clusters in Ophichus instead… M10 and M12, and then M14, which was noticeably fainter and fuzzier than its neighbours. Last, but by no means least, I took in IC 4665, confirmed by Sky Safari. This one target has made me think I need a wider EP for the C11 as I couldn't squeeze it all in :icon_scratch:

All in all, a great night for me and my longest session so far. Had it not been for my neighbour's searchlight and an increasing feeling of cold, I might have stayed out a few minutes longer for a peek at the Moon, which was just above the houses by the time I was packed up...

Nice report Dunkster.

Couldn't do without Sky Safari, its like having a dozen folders of sky chart in one little iPad. :clouds2:

The globular clusters of Ophichus is on the cards for me tonight I think.

Thanks guys, yeah it was a great night out, but I felt like I was a little hungover yesterday morning :headbang:

I'll get M81 and M82 sooner or later, even if I have to go driving with the 6SE! (haven't figured out the logistics of doing it with the C11 yet :) )

when you get the sky fi and link it to the Neq6 and sky safari you will be gob smacked. using sky safari to wirelessly send your scope to the objects is great.

BTW I have a common or garden C11 and Neq6 (suitably pimped of course)

Nice scope m.tweedy. Slightly worried that it appears to be powered by the consumption of human beings. ;)

I have been found out. Quite a few normally go with me to our dark sky observing site. FEW EVER RETURN:evil4::)

The scope attached is the WO Megerez 90

Michael - that is some huge scope !!

I think people just dread, you'll ask them to carry it :)

With the 90, it really gives an idea of size .............

I assume your mount is the EQ6 ?

its just a C11 not that heavy really. The essential things were to replace the vixen dovetail with an ADM losmandy plate and put end stops on "just in case" the scope slipped down the plate. The extras on the scope are the moonlite crayford-useful for fine focus without mirror shift and the Baader clicklock diagonal-it grips so well-essential for the Ethos 21:D

Yes it is an NEQ6 pro with ADM dual plate, Geoptic counterweight bar and weights which were needed with all of the gear attached. The supplied counterwight shaft felt like it was bending when I had 15-20 kg of counterweights on. I prefer to keep the tripod legs as low as possible hence the mini pier.

I apologise if it feels like I have hijacked the thread

Michael - that is some huge scope !!

I think people just dread, you'll ask them to carry it :)

With the 90, it really gives an idea of size .............

I assume your mount is the EQ6 ?

silly me i think it is the WO 66 not the 90 as I often interchange them.

Ouch - hope not a bad injury !

I'd like a planetary scope (in a few months time), but think looking at this thread the C11 is just too big ....... think i'll be be looking at the 8 or 9.25 .............

Nah nothing serious, just strained a muscle... literally overreaching :)

While I'm sure it was mostly a consequence of haste and inexperience, I think I'll try to adopt the approach from the infamous C14 small scope video rather than try to hug the tube onto the mount. I got the C11 to try and avoid going too crazy and ending up with a big Dob LOL

While I've only had 1 session with the C11 so far, I was really thrilled with it and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from the experience and can't wait to get out to a dark site with it.... the 9.25 is only a couple of kgs lighter, but probably easier to cuddle ;)

While I've only had 1 session with the C11 so far, I was really thrilled with it and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from the experience and can't wait to get out to a dark site with it.... the 9.25 is only a couple of kgs lighter, but probably easier to cuddle ;)

:) have visions of a C11 teddy bear scope :D

How do you put the scope onto the saddle? When I first got the scope I used to slide it down the dovetail but soon learned that was rather dodgy. With the ADM saddle and the astrodevelopments safety stop I just clip it in sideways and tighten up it is soooo much easier (and more secure). I also put the tube on bare and attach everything once it is safe on the mount.

Hope that helps

What I did was to loosen the saddle enough to slot the dovetail in, then hold on for dear life while tightening up. Once I'd added all the bits, I started balancing. That's the point where I had to nudge the dovetail along, and as it was stiff, loosened up a bit more and hold on tight :)

Anything that makes that less precarious and less physical to achieve has got to be worth looking into - thanks!

What I did was to loosen the saddle enough to slot the dovetail in, then hold on for dear life while tightening up. Once I'd added all the bits, I started balancing. That's the point where I had to nudge the dovetail along, and as it was stiff, loosened up a bit more and hold on tight :)

Anything that makes that less precarious and less physical to achieve has got to be worth looking into - thanks!

Using the astrodevelopments safety stop you can set it at balance point and when you clip your scope onto the mount you do not have Togo through the whole balance procedure every time. It also helps support the scope whilst tightening everything up.

Archived